Chapter 14- Rejection

I break the news to my mom as calmly as possible and thankfully she took it in good stride. Flinette on the other hand was a slobbering mess and we had to pet her in order to get her to stop crying. Adaira on the other hand doesn't even care as long as it means she's not going to be admitted to the hospital for any reason.

School is like a breath of fresh air for me because it allows me to momentarily forget everything happening at home and become the Jolly red head that I am.

"So?" Jordan says to me as we're having lunch

"What?" I ask him and take a bite from my sandwich which tastes good.

"How did it go?" he asks quite annoyed with my ability to forget things, "between you and Kevin"

"Oh, that" I say and begin to feel heat rise to my cheeks at the simple mention of his name, "nothing happened sadly"

"Why's that?" he asks and I shrug, "I didn't see him all the while I was there, plus I had to take Flinn home because she was dead ass drunk"

"Must have sucked" he says and tsks before turning to the other inhabitant of our circle, "how did you enjoy your first high school party?"

Renae at first looks shocked to be added to the conversation, "it was fun up till the point where someone left me all alone"

"And I apologized for that" I say feeling honestly tired with the way she has been going on about the whole issue since the party, "or would you have preferred I left Flinette all alone?"

She rolls her eyes and continues to poke at her salad and I also choose to ignore her attitude and begin to think of why I haven't seen Kevin or heard from him since the day of the party.

"You know what guys" I say as I get up from the table, "I need to check on something real quick, I'll be back real quick"

"Leaving again" Renae says, "it seems to be your specialty now"

"I said I would be back real quick" I grit out and get up, and then toss over my shoulder, "I hope you get rid of the dick on your forehead that is making you act like an ass"

I walk out of the cafeteria and run across the school courtyard to where Kevin normally hangs out during this time of the day. I spot him sitting alone with a book in his hand, he's probably reading.

I take a seat beside him and take a good look at the book cover, "I really like this book"

He jumps a little and looks relieved when he sees that it's only me, "hey J"

"Hey" I say and begin to fiddle with my fingers, "I didn't see you at your party"

"Oh that" he says and lets out a little laugh which sounds like music to my ears, "I got a little caught up with something, but I caught a glimpse of you when you walked in with your friend" he adds, "that was a real hot dress by the way"

"oh" I say and smile because it's like an indication that he didn't confess to anyone yet and was probably busy throughout the party to do so, "that's cool"

We fall into silence and I begin to fiddle with my fingers again when he interrupts me, "is there something you wanted to tell me?" he asks and puts down his book.

"I like you" I blurt out and feel my heart hammering against my chest, "I have for a while"

He let's out a laugh and it catches me off guard, "you like me?" he asks like it's the funniest thing he ever heard.