[15] L.H + M.C

MICHAEL

I knew at one point we would have to go back. To return. Like century old ghosts returning to the world as refugees. It was spinning in the back of my mind like a devil, waltzing with my hopes like I were made of glass.

I simply didn't expect it to be today. Neither did Luke, but as we were sitting at the front of the cave, our backs pressed up against the rock and our fingers intertwined, we suddenly realized how empty Luke's backpack is, and how we desperately needed a good bath that doesn't involve washing our hair with water from the stream.

Living away from civilization had begun to take its toll on us, but not in a bad way. We had begun to loathe the idea of living in cramped up homes, breathing in oxygen that we have to share with other lungs. Dealing with other people's minds and opinions that don't think the same way as us.

We don't want to go back. But we have to. Because paradise doesn't last forever.

It didn't take long to pack up our stuff after Luke broke it to me that we needed to go back. We simply shoved our dirty blankets back into Luke's nearly empty backpack and sat on the cave floor, staring at the place that had so quickly had become our home. Our secret place, hidden behind layers of memories that have become too dusty to feel the pain of.

We let the hot sun cool down into late afternoon, when it has been worn down by the events of the day. Then we jolt from our unblinking stare at the horizon, our minds melting into the realization that we have to leave.

The blonde looks over at me, his baby blue eyes glinting in the pale sunlight. He reaches over and slides his hand over mine, squeezing it gently before helping me stand up. He pulls me to my feet with ease, drawing me closer to him as he adjusts the backpack strap over his shoulder.

Luke begins to lead me out of my beloved cave, the stone walls beckoning to me as we exit out of its fragile grasp. I stare at the green ivy climbing the sides of the walls, ice filling my bloodstream before my breath hitches, and I push away from Luke.

"Wait." I say, grabbing the knife from Luke's backpack and walking carefully over to the wall of the cave. I slowly lift it to the stone, the pointed edge towards the rock, and gently scraping it against the wall. The sharp edge tears off the grey coating of the stone and reveals the white layer of materials underneath. I drag it across the rock, carving a prominent L into the surface.

I hear the blonde tenderly approach me from behind, and I see him stare at what I'm doing. I twist the edge carefully to the right of the L, forming a small dot. I then engrave an H into the rock, and draw a plus sign under the two letters.

Luke smiles and laughs quietly when he sees what I'm doing, gently wrapping his arms around my middle, resting his head on my shoulder.

I chisel in my initials, and the lower the blade, turning my head to smile at Luke. The blue eyed boy grins, reaching for the knife in my hands.

He moves away from me, closer to the wall. He carefully draws a crooked heart over the four letters, making sure it is well indented and prominent. A smile grows on my face when I see it, and Luke flips around, putting away the knife and pressing his lips against mine. He pulls apart shortly and places his arm around my shoulders as we walk towards the entry of the cave, satisfied with the little piece of us left behind.

We leave the cave, stepping out onto the dim sunlight and feeling the breeze ripple goosebumps across our skin. We stare out at the breathtaking horizon, capturing a mental picture that will be tattooed onto our brains as we walk away, stepping into the serenity of the trees.

Luke and I stumble among the weeds, stepping on dry flowers and crushed pine cones as we track through our familiar path. We move at a faster pace than before since we know exactly where we are going now. I remember looking at the same clump of red flowers, the same moss that covers the left side of an oak tree, the same burrow created by some animal behind a wall of bushes.