Chapter 18 - Vampires

Seeing the entry for the caves gave Edwin a boost in hope, much needed. Alexa's eyes were closed her breathing labored, her heartbeat slow and almost faint, dark webs of veins were visible in her neck. He knew that time was running out for her. The day of traveling had been one of the most agonizing that he had ever experienced, between cries and screams from Alexa then the quiet of the dead, that made him worried that the sparkle of life in her could fade anytime. She spent the traveling between the two states and he couldn't do anything to help her, to ease her pain. Her head rested against his chest and he never let go of her waist, with one hand, and with the other, he took the reins of the horse and guided it towards the entrance of the caves.

As soon as he got to the entrance he noticed that Jax couldn't go the rest of the way so he dismounted and took Alexa on his arms, feeling her cold and sweating, shivering from a fever. Running was the way that he chooses to look for the lake of the Water Nymphs.

He took him several passages and dead ends but he reached an underground lake, it's water dark as night. He laid her on the ground, close to the water, with her feet touching the waters. Then he looked for the big lake that seemed to have no end. He removed his shirt and entered the cold waters until it's lower half was covered by the water:

- Water Nymphs! Heed my call! I'm willing to pay the price! Please help me! Help Us! - He shouted without knowing what to do to get the Nymph's attention.

The waters stayed calm for a moment and when Edwin was losing all hope a ripple formed a few feet in front of him.

A female Nymph appeared, her skin dark as the waters, with scales on his lower body, instead of legs she had a fin, long and strong just as the whales, her eyes blue like the sky and her hair purplish and blueish with shells and starfish on her head.

- Who calls for the Ancient Power of the Lake Samuodra? - She asked, her voice a beautiful melody that tried to enchant Edwin.

- Prince Edwin Vladi the Second of Elatre! I call on the Ancient Powers! - He spoke with confidence making the Nymph blink as if she expected something different from a reaction.

- For whom do you seek the powers? - She asked.

- For Queen Alexa Knight of Zulcan's! - He answered unwaveringly.

- A vampire seeking help for a werewolf, not unheard of but in millennia I didn't know of any vampire and werewolf fraternity. Why do you seek to help her and not destroy her?

- I... I can't live in a world where she doesn't exist! I rather die than let her die!

- Do you love her? - She asked.

- Yes! - He answered and confessing like this felt like a weight was lifted from his shoulders.

- And does she love you?

- I don't know! But I believe so!

- For her to be healed there's only away. In these waters, you'll mark her and she shall mark you. You must mate and become a mated couple.

Edwin was astonished by the answer he never knew that it was possible for the vampires and werewolves to mate and to mark each other.

- But there is a price! - She announced breaking his hopes. - First, you'll lose half of yourself as so does she, that half will go to the other one. And if she doesn't love you like you think or like you love her, then both of you will die. Each time you need to feed only her blood will clench the bloodthirst, her wolf will become less wild and vicious and you'll both feel what the other is feeling. She'll be able to cross the barrier and don't get frost burn, as you will not be bothered by the heat that the wolf emanate. You will be able to transform into another creature just as she is capable of the wolf. Which creature you'll when the ritual is done.

- That seems to me only good things. - Edwin talked.

- Oh one last thing. When one of you dies so does the other one and there's no way of telling how the offspring will come. Make your choice, now! - She demanded.

- I willing to go through all of that if it means that she will live!

- So be it! You will know what to do! - Said the Water Nymph submerging in the waters and disappearing.

Edwin returned to Alexa picked her up and carried her to the lake, when her weight was nothing and he could hold her in a straight position he prepared himself, caressed the nape of her neck licked it, and kissed it before he sunk his teeth in her, marking her.

Author Note

I hope you're enjoying the story!

Tell me what of think about Alexa? And Edwin? And then as a couple?

I would love to hear from you though!