Chapter 1 - The Bryant Brothers

Start from the beginning

‘Um, sorry. What can I get you guys?’ We all tell her what we want and she notes it down smiling. I watch her brows furrow slightly as she writes and suddenly her head snaps up and her eyes meet mine. I smirk slightly and I see the blush that tries to creep across her face.

‘Great, can I get you guys anyth - ?’ She is cut off by a high pitched voice and we all turn our heads slightly to see another beautiful blonde heading towards us. She looks pissed and I look at the waitress who looks embarrassed.

‘Allie Colson I swear to god, you had better explain to me why your f – oh.’ The girl suddenly stops as she sees us and looks between us and Allie. God, even her name is beautiful. I can practically see Allie wanting to face palm but she just sighs. Her gaze flickers behind me to wear Chance is sitting and the slight smile drops from her face. I just ignore my brother, he is an ass.

‘I’m sorry. I’ll just go place your order.’ She grabs the arm of the new girl and drags her off. Silence falls over out table until Jason breaks it.

‘Well. That was entertaining, and damn if they aren’t hot.’ I glare at him but he shrugs.

‘What, you noticed it too big brother.’ I don’t bother answering him.

‘It’s odd though…’ Hunter says and we all turn to look at him, even Chance looks up from his phone.

‘What?’ I query and Hunter looks at Hayden, ‘Well, none of you losers saw it because you were too busy at staring at other parts of her anatomy, but the waitress, Allie, or whatever her name is. Something happened to her, she is hurting.’ Hayden speaks this time and for some reason that thought makes me angry, who made her upset? The twins are scarily sensitive to people’s moods and feelings so I don’t doubt them for a second.

‘Just look at her eyes, look at the way she acts when she comes back.’ Hunter says and conversation turns to random shit before I feel something. My body is literally screaming at me to turn around and so I look out the corner of my eye. Allie is approaching with some drinks and food. She sets it down on the table but before I can really get a good look she turns and walks away. Seconds later she is back, bringing the rest of the food. She no longer holds her pad and pen in her hand and I notice her arms are crossed over her chest. If the twins hadn’t mentioned her odd behaviour I would have thought nothing of it but she looked almost like she was trying to protect herself.

‘You guys want anything else?’ She asks

‘Your number.’ Jason pipes up and Hunter smacks him around the back of the head. I think that Allie may be insulted but I see a smile on her face.

‘Is that right?’ She asks and he nods,

‘How old are you kid?’ He growls, little does she know that he hates being called that and I almost want to high five her.

‘I just turned 16. How old are you?’ He asks and she shakes her head,

‘Sorry. I’m 17, turning 18 in 3 months. I wasn’t raised to be a cradle snatcher.’ I can’t help but laugh at that and Hunter and Hayden also let out sniggers. Jason scowls but I know he is amused.

‘Anyway, I need to get back to work.’ She walks away and doesn’t come back for a while. When she does the diner has cleared out and I can see that she is much more relaxed. She has already cleared our plates and she brings over the bill.

‘Here you go guys.’ We all look expectantly at Chance who rolls his eyes and shoves some money on the table.

‘So, we haven’t formerly been introduced.’ Jason says trying to be flirty.

‘I’m Jason; these two ugly mugs are Hunter and Hayden. My darling eldest brother Chase over there and finally Will. We don’t really like to acknowledge his relation to us.’ My brother says and a smirk tips up one side of Allie’s face.

‘I’m Allie, and I know who you are.’

‘Was that disgust or fear I heard princess?’ I growl at my elder brother who ignores me, his gaze fixed on Allie. I don’t know what his problem is but it is pissing me off. There is silence for a second and then Allie speaks up,

‘Did I say that?’ Her tone is practically glacial and her fists are clenched against the table top.

‘And don’t call me princess.’ Okay I was wrong, her tone before was cheerful compared to the way she spits those words at my brother and even Chance looks taken aback for a second before he nods slowly. An awkward silence falls,

‘Look. I’m not afraid of you, nor am I disgusted by any rumours I may have heard about you. The only reason I said that I knew you was because everyone knows you. I have no right to judge you so don’t ever think I would.’ Her voice is firm but kind and I stare at this angel in front of me.

‘I’ll see you around.’ She says with a smile and whipping the money of the table walks away.

‘I like her.’ Jason suddenly pipes up and we all look at him a little wearily.

‘What?’ He questions, ‘Have we ever met anyone who didn’t judge us immediately? She is sweet, she is pretty and she is not a judgemental bitch. What’s not to like?’ My brothers and I say nothing because really, what can we say?

‘Why did you listen to her when she told you not to call her princess? I didn’t expect you to let that go.’ Jason addresses his question to our eldest brother and despite myself I am curious and the twins perk their heads up as well. Chance sighs,

‘Because when someone tells you not to do something in the way she just did then you listen, because you can be damn well sure there is a reason.’ We all nod and then go home and despite myself I am excited for the first day of school on Monday.