17 - Angel by Mugler

Start from the beginning

Eva threw Kehlani her speaker, making the comforting lyrics of R&B fill the room whilst we set our makeup.

Yasmin looked at the clock, exclaiming, "Wow, it's already half six! Katana needs to hurry up so we can go."

Eva nodded as she slipped into a vintage Versace dress from her wardrobe. Surprised, I stared at her dress.

"Wow, where did you get that Eva?" I asked.

"It's my mum's," replied Eva. "The Quiz dress is for the after party."

Yasmin kissed her teeth. "Stop turning around Chardonnay before I glue these lashes on your nose!"

Eva laughed as I turned around to face Yasmin again. I watched as Kehlani sprayed perfume over herself. She threw the bottle to Eva so she could use it too.

"Your turn," grinned Eva, passing me the bottle of eau de parfum.

"It smells like heaven," I said excitedly. "What perfume is this?"

"Angel by Thierry Mugler."

Snatching the bottle out of my hand, Yasmin sprayed herself with the perfume, savouring the scent. Eva grabbed the bottle from Yasmin and stuffed it into her clutch purse.

"It's time to go, she's here!" shrieked Kehlani, jumping up from the dresser by the window.

I slipped on my heels. "Who's here?"

"Katana hired a big boy car with a driver. They're outside!"

Ecstatic, we all barged out of Eva's bedroom, making her brother come out of his bedroom. He rarely stayed at Eva's house since he had his own place.

"Ay yo what's with all the screaming Eva?" he coughed.

"Oh hey Grimz, we're off to prom," beamed Yasmin.

Grimz. I almost forgot he went by that tag name. Eva's brother preferred to be called Grimz because he was also a 'pharmacist', just like Tay and Jasiah. However, I didn't like calling him by his tag so I just called him Eva's brother.

"Why are you coughing?" frowned Kehlani.

"You and your fucking perfume," hissed Grimz. "If you lot were planning to kill me, you could've chosen other ways than suffocate me with your perfume."

Running down the stairs, Eva chuckled, "Stop being dramatic and open the windows."

I waved goodbye to him before following the girls out of the house, making sure to lock the door with Eva's keys. I handed the key to Eva as we walked to the curb. She hopped from heel to heel avidly when she saw the Rolls Royce. The luxurious, five-seater glistened before us in the sunlight. I watched as the chauffeur walked out and opened the car door for us. Tattoos peeked out of his collar and sleeves, spilling onto his hands and neck. He looked too good to be a chauffeur. I caught him smile as he gazed at Eva's behind entering the car.

"Is he... you know," I whispered to Eva, sitting down the next to her in the back seat.

"Yeah, he's part of GPK and friends with Katana. His name is Bailey."

"You know him?"

"Well when I used to chill in GPK with Kehlani, he moved to me," shrugged Eva. "But my brother swooped in as usual and stopped 'us' from happening."

I stared at her with my mouth wide open. I knew it. He was too leng to be a chauffeur. Not leng as Jasiah though.

Squashing together, Yaz, Kehlani, Eva and I adjusted ourselves in the three back seats while Katana sat in the front. Closing our door, Bailey jumped back in and started the car.

"What are you man whispering about Evangeline," asked Bailey, showing off his silver caps as he smirked.

Eva rolled her eyes. "Nothing. I was just thinking you and Katana took very long to get here... together."

"What are you implying?"

"Nothing at all, just wondering what you guys were doing."

"I only called Bailey at six," laughed Katana, shaking her head. "Relax, nobody stole your man."

I felt Eva stiffen as she glanced up at Bailey. My eyes flicked between Bailey and Eva. Bailey rolled his eyes and switched on the radio, making drill music blare through the sound system. Awkwardly, I looked away and took in my reflection in the tinted windows. I barely recognised myself. My curls fell down my face, framing my natural makeup. I looked like an angel. Feeling confident, I reminded myself what I had to do tonight, by any means - I had to take the crown.

●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

Stepping out of the Rolls Royce, I nervously strutted next to Eva, Yasmin and Kehlani. A few of my classmates milled around as the last cars reversed away from the hotel's parking lot. Pollen bobbed around in the light, summer breeze beside the hotel's field. We were somewhere in Chigwell, Essex. Katana stayed in the car to make a few more phone calls but she promised she would join us in five minutes. Thankfully, we were only fifteen minutes late. I guess Yaz would get her dramatic entrance after all. Keenly, we walked along the red carpet up to the steps of the hotel's hall, getting the attention of the two security guards at the door.

"I'll go in first," grinned Eva, squeezing my hand. "Follow in after me."

We watched as she gave them her name and showed them her prom ticket. The security guard pushed open the door for Eva, allowing her to enter the hall.

Kehlani smirked, waving our prom tickets. "Now it's our turn!"

I just didn't understand how she was able to get prom tickets with our names printed on them in such a short time. Skipping over to the guards, she flashed our tickets at them.

"I'm Kehlani Clarke, she's Yasmin Bishop and she's Chardonnay Obiaka."

Wearily, the guard looked at us up and down. "Sorry but none of your names are on the list."

"But we have our tickets."

"Please can you leave the premises immediately."

- Go check out Being Nyla by taeeeee_x

Photos of their prom outfits are on my Instagram @jaymunnildnn and a good perfume to try is Angel by Thierry Mugler or the Alien one. What did Katana 'really' do after leaving the nail salon? How will Chardonnay get into prom now? Will Chardonnay get the chance to find out who set her up? Find out in the next chapters. Don't be shy, drop a vote - Jaymunni