Lunan understood that much, but he still needed his main question answered.

"But still, why hide all of that from me? Wouldn't it make more sense to gradually divulge this information so that I would be sympathetic to your cause?"

Gadreel averted his gaze.

"You really want to know."

Lunan nodded impatiently.

"It was your parents' final wish. After the trauma you experienced from their unexpected deaths, they wanted you to live the rest of your human life in relative peace." Gadreel met Lunan's eyes again. There was no deception in his claret gaze. "I think they regretted involving you in all of this after they died."

Lunan stared at Gadreel motionlessly, frozen by the revelation. For years, he thought they wanted nothing to do with him, but they were prisoners to their own guilt instead. He blinked hard.

"So they kept me ignorant as a means of apology," he said tonelessly.

"A foolish decision, as those who worship Lucifer should seek to dispel ignorance. I don't blame them, though. Even with their powers, they were merely human, and that species is notoriously shortsighted," Gadreel said.

"I see, I understand," Lunan said automatically, but his head whirled with the new information.

Gadreel offered, "Were you to align yourself with Hell, you could visit them whenever you wished."

Lunan wanted that, needing to see his parents again so badly. He wanted the closure of being able to hug them, to cry with them.

Azrael sneered. "While your parents' deaths were unfortunate, you can't choose Hell just to see them. You are the vessel of Abaddon. Your role extends beyond your existence as a human."

Her words stung, but they resonated with him enough to pull him from his thoughts.

"You're right," he said, and turned to her. "Thank you for telling me everything, Gadreel. I want to hear from you now, Azrael. Why should I choose Heaven?"

"It's the right thing to do. Father's will is absolute, and all of his angels are made to love and serve him," she said, her voice brimming with confidence. Were it a few weeks ago, that kind of reasoning would have still held sway over him.

"I'm not an angel, though," Lunan pointed out. "At least not yet, anyway."

"Father makes all of his creations with love. You're always His, Lunan. To choose Heaven is to align yourself with the Almighty," she tried again.

Lunan frowned. "Even my parents who worshiped Lucifer? Even every evil human that lived?"

Azrael gave him a dark look, her gray eyes flashing in irritation.

"You seem to have already made your decision. Why do you keep rejecting my responses?"

Lunan shrugged. "I don't mean to, but it feels like I'm talking to a program instead of someone with their own thoughts." She stiffened at the blatant criticism.

He glanced towards the river, feeling redness tinge his ears. Perhaps he had went too far.

Gadreel chuckled, drawing both pairs of eyes to him.

"My apologies. This is a serious moment," he said, but a small smile still quirked on his lips. "It's because your assessment is spot on. Angels are more or less programmed to serve our maker. Few of us can take independent action beyond protecting ourselves or our brethren. Every action we take is made with that algorithm in mind."