Chapter 26: Back to Normal {Bethanny POV }

Mel and I walked into school, our heads held high. Of course, everyone knew she'd been gone. No one knew about my summer, about the incident with Nolan, about how anxious I felt. No one but Mel, and she was there by my side. So in we went, and mostly, things were going good. Even for school, it was a good day. We got to lunch and sat with a few soccer girls who caught up with Mel, and it was fine. Then one of them mentioned the devil, and it all went down hill.

"So what happened to Jason," a girl named Emily asked. "Jerry took down his website, and I hear he's like trying to be a good boy."

"Not very impressive, " I mumbled. "Maybe he grew up."

"Maybe a woman finally tamed him," Emily suggested."Beth, is this your handiwork?"

"God no," I snorted. "I attempted to teach Jason a lesson and wound up with a fake sex tape. I'm staying far away."

"He said his dad is cracking the whip," Mel said.

"So he talks to you, Mel?" I asked.

"We don't talk," she said. "We...we text sometimes. We email. It's harmless."

"Hmmmm," I said, thinking of Aaron. Maybe he and I could be email pals.

Before we could continue on, Jason came strolling over and sat down.

"Is this seat taken?" He asked Mel, smiling.

"Ummmmm..." she stammered. "No, but well..."

He just smiled and say down. I glared at Jason. What was his stupid plan now?

"So, how are you today?" He asked Mel, ignoring everyone else.

She blushed a bit, and I noted how she looked just like snow white when her cheeks flushed. She fiddled with her black hair and her blue eyes became distant.

"Sure is exciting, " Jason said. "New year. We've got the best girl in the world back here. It's so good to see you Mel."

"Thanks," she mumbled.

"And may I say," Jason asked. "You look beautiful today."

I glanced at him, noting there was no semblance of humor or smugness in he is face. He was serious. Mel just nodded, and Jason continued.

"You know, " Jason said slowly. "There's a party this weekend at some new kid's house. I kind of need a date. "

He stared at Mel, about to continue talking when she abruptly stood up, her legs shaking.

"I need to go," she said. "I'll see you all later."

"Should I come? " I asked her.

"I'll go with her, " Emily nodded.

They stood up and suddenly Jason and I stared at each other. His smile faded when Mel left the room, and I chuckled.

"What's so funny?"

"You, " I laughed. "Could you be any more obvious? You're in love with Mel."

"You're crazy, " he shrugged. "I mean she's hot. But I don't do love."

"So you took down your beloved website because..."

"My dad threatened my trust fund, " Jason said, deadpan.

"Say what you want," I said. "I was actually impressed. I mean, Mel is a great choice. She's out of your league, but I can see why you'd want her."