Chapter 9: The Covington Boy { Aaron POV }

After two days of listening to Joel's cheesy jokes, watching Bethanny spend way too much time on her computer using her phones WiFi, and glaring down that creep Nolan Porter, we got to Vegas. There were six luxury suites at the hotel we were at, and one was for Bethanny and me. I would sleep in the front room and she'd sleep in the back, giving her privacy. Nolan Porter, unfortunately, would be on the same floor.

Joel and Nolan seemed friendly, which bothered me. I didn't trust him around Beth, but I couldn't prove my suspicions. Also, given how often she flirted with me when we'd first met, I didn't trust she would turn him down if he made a move. Maybe she would, but it made me nervous. Perhaps I was being brotherly, but I felt overly protective of her.

I carried her bags as we checked in. Joel was arguing with the the desk lady.

"But we need all six luxury suites." Joel said.
"We have five," she explained. "We had to give one to a VIP."

"I'm a VIP," Joel said. "And these reservations were set up last year."

"Sorry," the concierge explained. "This VIP has a lot of pull. He's some sort of politician. "

"Oh shit," Beth said, her face turning white.

A group of well dressed people, including an older couple and two teenage boys came in through the front door.

"Is that the Governor of California? " I asked. "I heard that Duke Covington was running for president. I bet he's here for a fundraiser. "

"I need to go," Bethanny said, locking eyes with the older teenage boy. "Now."

I just nodded, not asking questions. I picked up her suitcase and we walked outside. I heard the faint sound of a voice calling out.

"Bethanny!" The voice called.

"Keep walking," she ordered.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"Far away from the Covington family," she said, hopping on the bus. I got on and the driver closed the door. I texted Joel to tell him we driving to get some lunch.

As we drove away, I saw the governor's older son in the distance, staring.

"Do you care to explain that?" I asked.

"No," Beth said. "Let's just go away. Buck will disappear again. He always does."

I didn't say a word but just told the bus driver to find us some place with some great chili cheese fries. If I had to guess, I'd bet money that "Buck" was an ex-boyfriend. And whenever Sienna got me down, I needed some cheese smothered fries. I'd feed Beth and then get her to talk.

*

*

*

The fries hit the diner table and Bethanny pushed it away.

"Not hungry," she said.

"Feel like explaining?" I asked.

"All you need to know," Bethanny said. "Is that Buck was apart of my past. He hurt me and it was a dark point in my life. I don't talk about it. My...sister and brother don't even know about it. My parents do, but it's awful."

"So he hurt you somehow," I said. "When? "

"Two years ago," I said. "I'm better now. But I saw him and it all rushed back to me. I had to get away. "

"Ok. So we'll avoid him. I can protect you from whatever you want Bethanny. That includes jerk named Buck."

"Aren't you curious what happened?"