Chapter 47: The Departure {Bethanny POV}

"So," the woman, a guidance counselor in a tweed jacket began. "If we double up on credits, you can graduate in a year and a half- counting the internship this summer."
"That is incredible," I said.
"Well between your AP classes in high school and taking 20 credits a quarter, you are a quick study Miss Macnarie. Why the rush, if you dont mind me asking?"
"This internship with the FBI," I said. "They are interested in me. The faster I can graduate, the faster I can go to Quantico and get my career started."
"Ok," she said. "I guess you have a plan."

And I did have a plan: graduate, move to DC and start with the Bureau, fight crime and be a badass. I just was not sure how to fit Aaron into that plan, since he was a promising cop in the LAPD. If he moved to DC, he would have to retrain with a new police academy and start his career over. Every time I mentioned it to Aaron, he brushed off my concerns and told me to put myself first. But if we both focused on our careers... the thought made me stomach churn. I grabbed my bag and made my way down to the gym nearby, just a three block walk. I waltzed in and  set my bags down. The class would be started so.

In the distance I saw him: Aaron was wearing a tight shirt and basketball shirts. He had always been pretty buff but between training he did for work and the Krav Maga, he was looking more and more chiseled. I was getting stronger myself, which was helpful. If someone like Molan Porter came for me today, I would be the one to put them into the ground.

I walked up and kissed him, finding a deep sense of satisfaction in the embrace. Three days left, I thought to myself. Three days until I left for my summer internship.  He smiled and noticed my far off distant look.
"Don't get sad..." he said. "You have to beat the crap out of me in a minute."
"Ha," I said. "I just realized how close it is until the grand departure."
"I have one more shift," Aaron said. "Then I will take the days off and fly down to DC and help you set up your summer apartment."
"Ok," I sighed. "Well, shall we?"
The class was starting, which meant we all picked soaring partners. I always picked Aaron, which may have been odd. Krav Maga was the fighting techniques used by Israeli soldiers so the class were pretty rough. We both needed the skills as a cop and a future FBI agent. But still, normal couples didn't enjoy attacking each other. We were never exactly normal.

"If I pin you," I said. "We go to the girly brunch place tomorrow."
"If I pin you," he said. "Actually, I like the brunch place."
I laughed and he wiggled his eyebrows at me flirtatiously.  We began to go through the motions and took turns being the dominant forces. Some part of me was overwhelmed with everything as I became oddly reflective in my own head. We had changed so much over the years, but it was all good. We had gone from me being a silly little girl to a strong woman, who knew exactly what she wanted. He had gone from a hot mess to a man with a career and his character shined in everything he did. We were stronger together.

It was the odd moment that he pinned me back to the mat, more gently than he needed to, that I had absolute clarity. I wanted to marry this man, and it didn't matter that we were young or hadn't dated around. I was certain of it.
He let out a chuckle and kissed my nose before letting me up. Yep, that's my future husband. It was like the light had been shining in my head but now it was crystal fucking clear.

***
I drove over to my parents house after Aaron went to work. My finals were over and I had spent the morning with Aaron after class getting in some quality bedroom time. I had still not gotten over how deep our psychical chemistry was, since our relationship had been purely platonic for so long. I waltzed into the house and found my mother sitting at the table, and I could hear my Father playing guitar up in the bedroom.

"Hey mom," I said. "Is Dad writing songs again?"
"Yeah," she said. "He talked Bryan into letting him ghostwriter a few tracks for Salicious Silence. The Triumphant Thunder fans really only want to hear the classics, so Bryan is the mouth piece for Dad's new work."
"Ah," I said. "Hey, are you busy?"
"I'm just reading gossip magazines," she said. "Trying to see what Blake is up to these days. She has been so busy lately- she is a horrible texter."
"Well you know what they will say, she is pregnant and alone!"
"Funny," Mom laughed. "Speaking of pregnant, how is Aaron? You using protection?"

"Jesus mom," I said. "Yes we are."
"Sorry, you are just glowing, she laughed. "Your dad may need to pretend you are celebrate and just watching movies even though you practically live at Aaron's house. But I want details- the hot gossip. Spill the tea, sis."
"Mom, don't talk like that," I chuckled. "But I do have some news. I decided something today."
"I'm listening..."
"I want to marry Aaron," I said.
"And..."
"No I mean I decided like I know it. He is the one. Before I had hoped and knew I loved him. But it is like I just had this clarity that he is it: Aaron is my husband. I know it in my bones."

"Did you tell him," mom asked.
"Should I? I dont want to propose. Aaron is the type of guy who probably has fantasies about proposing. How do I let him know he has the green light, should he ever want to pursue it."
"Well, maybe you don't have to say it," Mom said. "Maybe you just show him that you are committed. Take the next step, whatever that is for you."
I thought long and hard about what to do. An idea came to me: our next step. It was very clear. I knew what to do.

***
I had expected a lot of things leading up to me going to DC for my internship: stress packing, crying, loathing. But I had been rather light hearted, which made Aaron very suspicious.  We had spent most of our time not talking, but soaking up every inch of each other. Somehow we had both decided that long distance would be easier if we spent time our together before locked in a bedroom. It was no so bad.

But we were here, in the parking lot of the airport. He was fidgety, quiet.
"You ok?" I asked.
"Yeah," he sighed. "This is is just harder than I expected."
"Four weeks and then we meet up at your mom's house. Just four weeks."
"I know," Aaron said. "I just... I am going to miss you. You seem so content, at peace. I wish I had your zen."
"Well, I am happy because I decided something. Here."
I handed him an envelope and he grabbed it, somewhere wary. I could practically read his mind. What was she up to now?

He opened it and saw a piece of paper. It was a cancellation statement: a full refund for the payments my dad had made for the dorms next year.
"I don't get it," Aaron said. "Where are you going to live? At home with your parents?"
"No. I was hoping we could move into together, that is if you'll have me."
Aaron glanced at me, his eyes full of surprise and a sort of giddiness.
"You want to move in with me?"
"Of course. I love you."
"What about focusing on school?"
"This will help," I said. "The dorms are sort of chaotic and then we don't have schedule time together. We will come home to each other, every night."
"I should get a nice apartment," he chuckled.
"No," she laughed. "But I might have to add some feminine touches."
"I have a couch, a tv, and a bed. I could use some touches."
"So this is a yes?"
"Yes," he said. "This does help. One summer apart and then we will be together constantly."
"Exactly," I said. "Its a good trial period- to see what it would be like if we got married."
"Now you're talking about marriage," Aaron laughed. "Girl, you've been making plans."
"Yep. But I can slow down at any time..."
"No," Aaron said. "This is perfect. I love you."
We kissed and for a moment, I forgot all about the next few weeks. It would be tough to be long distance, but I knew we could make it. Wed survived much worse.