CHAPTER 38. Highlight

Maria

Not much changed in senior year. We were still the same group of teenagers with the same routine, but the fun still remained.

Anita and Deborah started hanging out like old times, so it was safe to say they got back being friends, but then something happened.

                    Mathias' POV

"How come I hadn't realized how cute you are?" Her voice was seductive. She'd left her spot to sit with me. I held her hand that wanted to feel my face.

"Are you for real?" Anita had excused herself while we were all chatty in the living room a moment ago. Although I wasn't fully involved, as there wasn't much of a discussion I could have with Deborah.

Deborah turned around, unbothered, and then she stood up from the couch. "Someone is insecure... That was only a compliment." She referred to her earlier intention with a hand gesture in my direction.

The fight wasn't mine, so I sat quiet, knowing Anita could handle it, and she looked disgusted by Deborah's action. "I was stupid to think we could actually be friends."

"Ugh... Tantrums," Deborah muttered in a mocking tone. "Well, you're lucky to have Mathias. And just a little piece of advice from an old friend. Try fixing your hair so you can at least look good enough for him." She faked a smile. "Bye forever."

Deborah's attitude wasn't in any way surprising, but seeing Anita with her when I came in was utterly shocking.

Anita jerked at the slam Deborah made with the door, her jaw hanging in awe.

I sighed as I got up to meet her. "She's obviously jealous of you." I took her hands in mine, and her beautiful brown eyes swifted from the door to look at me.

She let out a breath. "I feel it's my punishment for using her," she said, and I loved that she trusted me. Many guys would receive a questionnaire booklet.

"Stop... She wasn't genuine from the start too. And I'm the one who's lucky to have you." I fixed the cracks Deborah left on her self esteem. "And your hair is gorgeous." I felt the fluffy texture with my fingers as I moved the strands to stare at her pretty face, placing my palm on her cheek. "Deborah can't pull off a messy hair and still look pretty." She chuckled. "And Deborah isn't the only student in school," I used student so it doesn't seem like I was limiting her choices, but deep down I didn't want her having male friends, yeah, jealous much, "you can attract the best of friends if you open up."

She smiled. "Yeah... Just hold me."

I laughed at her gesture as I covered her in my arms, dropping a kiss on her head.

                           Maria

And Anita's friendship with Deborah ended for good. But Deborah didn't stop, as she shamelessly went back to Andrew. For the love of God...

                  Andrew's POV

"Hey." Deborah called as soon as I walked out of class. She literally waited for me. I sighed, stepping down from the veranda to meet her.

"Hey," I said back.

"I've missed you."

I almost choked as I scoffed. "You gave me a proper goodbye with the beating." I reminded her.

"I swear I had no hand in that," she desperately said.

I found it disgusting when people don't own up to their shit, and she just had to swear, but arguing with a liar could be frustrating, so I let it go.