CHAPTER 4. Feelings

Maria's POV

The first reading was coming to an end, and I was next in line for the psalmist. I got up feeling nervous, adjusted my white cossock, and made my way to the alter.

"The word of the Lord," the layreader said after she was done reading.

"Thanks be to God," the congregation responded.

Reuben, the alter server I always admire, walked with her to the front of the alter where I stood, his hands clasped together.

Standing side by side with the two church workers, we all bowed our heads, and then I was accompanied by Reuben to take the stand, while the layreader proceeded to her seat.

Reuben held the mic to my mouth, and I thought it wise to take it from him so he doesn't get tired. I could feel my heart pounding to break out of my chest from the terror of the stage fright. Plus, the fact that it was my first time taking the psalmist. But the worse part about the terror was having the boy I admire so close to me while I sang.

"Cry out with joy to the Lord, all the earth." I read out the responsorial psalm, and the congregation repeated the words, after which I sang it in the form of a hymn, and the church responded in the same manner.

"Cry out with joy to the Lord, all the earth. Serve the Lord with gladness. Come before him, singing for joy." I sang the first verse, and the church sang the responsorial psalm which served as the chorus.

I searched for any form of judgement in Reuben's eyes from my peripheral vision, but he kept an impassive face that made him hard to read, standing still beside me with his hands clasped together. He was so good at it.

"Know that he the Lord is God. He made us, we belong to him. We are his people, the sheep of his flock." I sang the second verse and the church gave their response, and I started to feel comfortable.

"Indeed, how good is the Lord, eternal his merciful love. He is faithful from age to age." I sang the last verse and waited for the church's response.

"Cry out with joy to the Lord, all the earth." I ended the psalmist with the chorus, placing the mic close to the Breviary. Reuben walked me to the front of the alter to receive the layreader for the second reading, while the congregation sang the responsorial psalm.

We all took a bow, and I walked back to my seat, feeling accomplished. I could finally breathe.

                          ******

I met Mathias, Francis and Agnes outside the school gate. Summer was over for the day, much earlier than usual.

Holding my notebook in one hand, I suddenly felt lightweight. "Oh, shush. I forgot my bag."

"How convenient," Agnes said with a tired face.

"Sorry!" I ran back inside the school.

Striding to my class, I heard a strange noise like a wounded animal. The environment was quiet, providing the sound with more volume. The door to the commercial class that I'd walked past was locked, but the window before me on my side had a slight opening. My curiosity got the best of me and I found myself moving towards it on my tiptoes to take a peek. The sight which made my eyes bulg and my jaw drop had me retreating back on impulse and marching ahead to my class to avoid being caught.

I entered my empty class, grabbed my bag, and ran out.

Getting to the school gate, I saw Agnes approaching me with aggressive steps. "What took you so long? And where's Andrew? We should be on our way home!" She kept yelling in her shrilled voice from the distance until she reached me.

"What's with the face? You saw a ghost?" Her frustrated face switched into a confused one.

"You won't believe it..." I trailed off, not believing what I was about to tell her myself.

"What happened?" She became anxious.

"I found Andrew in an empty class."

"So?" She now looked curious.

"He was with Deborah, and they were kissing..." I spilled the beans.

"What...?" I couldn't pick out an emotion from the various ones running on her face.

"I know right!" I said like someone who had just aired out the best gossip news.

"Can we go now?" She sounded devastated as she turned around.

I grabbed her wrist and pulled her back to face me. "Okay... That wasn't the reaction I expected."

"Are you even sure it was Andrew you saw?" She brought out her defensive side.

"I know our friend," I said before taking in her mood. "Or am I missing something..." A smile spread out on my face. "You like him..." I let out the obvious.

She stayed silent for a moment, confirming my suspicion. "Well it doesn't matter anymore. And please don't tell anyone, not even Mathias or Francis."

"My God, it's true." My hands involuntarily covered my mouth in shock at her confession, and then I slowly dropped them, feeling sorry when I noticed the hurt in her eyes as she kept staring, but she wasn't looking at me. I followed her focus and my eyes caught Andrew and Deborah. They walked to the gate holding hands and smiling at each other.

"I don't want to find anybody in class or around the school premises!" Mr Jasper, the security guard yelled, moving in the direction of the classes with his whip.

"Let's go." Agnes turned around and started marching towards the school gate. I didn't say anything but followed the angry lady, and we met the boys outside.

"What kept you two in there?" Andrew asked us both, and I noticed the glare he got from Agnes that radiated an awkward energy which only I felt.

"I went to get my bag," I said immediately, saving her from the drama she wanted to keep a secret.

"Seems like Mr Jasper gave you a little punishment." He teased her, worsening the situation he had no idea about, so I couldn't blame the poor boy.

She kept the same face.

"You okay?" He asked, more concerned this time.

"Yeah." She gave a flat reply.

"We should get going," Francis said before Andrew could pry further.

"Or we could try something fun. We still have enough time before the day is over." Andrew suggested.

"I'm in," Mathias said, not minding whatever Andrew had in mind.

"Like what?" I asked the master planner.

"Seeing the last wall of the estate." He smirked.

"That's where the church's farm is located and no one's allowed to go there. And what if we get caught?" Francis was already bailing out as usual.

"That's the joy of living?" Andrew replied with a cocky smile, and everywhere went silent. "So?" He lifted his eyebrows with a hand gesture.

Francis sighed.

"Don't worry, Pope. Father George won't find out," Andrew said to Francis in a teasing tone.

He laughed, ignoring the comment, and still not buying the idea. "This won't be good."