25 - Trust No One

Rene sat in her bedroom, on her laptop, mixing music. She was startled when a knock on the door was heard. She removed her headphones "Who is it?" She asked. Randall leaned against the door "It's me" He answered. Rene paused for a brief moment "Sorry, Rene isn't in right now!". Randall opened the door anyway, despite her clear words to leave her alone. She slouched over "I could've been getting changed" She pointed out. He furrowed "By the sounds of things, you wanted me to piss off." He replied. Rene looked to the side briefly "Yeah, well that would've been preferred" She replied quickly. He walked in and closed the door behind him. She closed her laptop whilst he sat down in front of her "Look, I know I've been a bit cold" He started. She scoffed "A bit?" She questioned. Randall sighed "Let me finish" He answered back. She pushed herself back against the headboard and let him continue "I know I've been a bit cold, it's just annoyed me about the whole...I love you thing" He announced. Rene sighed and leaned forward "Listen...at this moment in time? I'm a bit stressed. Balancing college, two secret societies, then finding out my brother after nine years is still alive, it's hard. I don't know if I can do it" She announced. Randall furrowed "Do what?". She sighed and looked down at her hands "A relationship" She muttered.

They both sat in silence, Rene wiped the tear quickly in fear that Randall would notice, but he did "Hey!" He alerted with a slight laugh in his voice. She looked up as he grabbed her hand "One day at a time. Don't think of the future. If it is bothering you that much, we can pause" He offered. Rene smiled "I'd like that".

She went onto her laptop and began to write an essay. As she typed, she was suddenly pulled into a vision. It was Randall and Nessi walking in the woods. They got to a clearing, and they stopped. Randall stood in the middle whilst Nessi stood on the outer edge "Get him." She muttered. Cultists surrounded every edge of the clearing, leaving no room for escape. Rene jolted out of the vision with a gasp. She opened the door and stared over the bannister. Nessi held her fixed crossbow, and Randall was putting on his jacket "Stop!" Rene shouted. Randall jumped and furrowed "What?" He asked. She rushed down the stairs "Don't go!". Randall scoffed "I'm going" He replied. Rene pulled on his arm and stared into his eyes "Please don't! She's gonna betray you!" She informed. Nessi's eyes widened "I beg your pardon?". Randall pulled his arm back "You're acting like a maniac!" He informed. Rene was taken back "I'm trying to help you!" She fired back. Lilith marched in "Calm it, you two!" She ordered. Lilith turned to Randall "Stop acting a dick!" She insisted, then turned to Rene "I'll go with them" She reassured. Rene folded her arms "Be careful" She muttered towards Randall unamusingly. She walked into the living room in a bad mood. Lilith sternly stared at Randall "You're an asshole sometimes" She pointed out.

A couple of hours later, the door burst open to reveal Lilith and Randall covered in blood "Holy shit!" Hamish shouted. Lilith walked towards the bottom step "Bitch face!" She shouted towards Rene. Rene sauntered out of her room and stared at the two in shock "I told you" She scoffed and Lilith went up after her "What do you think you're playing at?" She scolded. Rene furrowed "I'm sorry, what?" Rene asked confusingly. Randall came up after her "You tricked us!" He shouted. Hamish jumped to Rene's defence "No...she's been here the entire time" He informed. Randall turned to Hamish "Shut it!" He shouted. Rene gave her head a shake "What happened?" She questioned. Randall folded his arms "We walked into the woods, into a clearing and the cultists surrounded us!" He informed heavily. Lilith nodded "Yeah! And they told us that you betrayed us!" She followed. Rene scoffed "Oh yeah? Who told you this?" She demanded as she folded her arms. "The cult leader!" She answered. She looked around the bottom floor "Oh yeah? Well, where's Nessi?" She pointed out. Randall and Lilith looked back to find her missing "She persuaded them to let us go" Randall informed. Rene gave up and stormed passed them. Hamish sighed heavily "Where are you going?" He questioned. She turned around and walked backwards out of the door "I'm going to find my brother on my own because they are fucking delusional!" She replied. Hamish sternly looked at the two and walked outside "Rene! Come back!" He commanded. Rene put her middle finger in the air and continued to walk "Fuck the lot of you, I don't need you! I can do this on my own!" She shouted. Hamish closed his eyes and sighed "God sakes" He whispered.

It turned dark and Rene continued to roam alone. She turned her phone off and went M.I.A. She roamed the deep woods, miles and miles in wolf form. She stopped at an old barn house to investigate, but to no avail. The air got colder and the wind picked up. She looked into the night sky "I'll find you" She murmured to herself. She turned back into a werewolf and continued on her mission.

Back at the house, everyone was beginning to panic "This wouldn't have happened if you both just listened to her" Hamish pointed out as he paced the room. Randall and Lilith both sat down on the sofa "They told us it was her" Lilith let note. Hamish stopped and looked at the both of them "If they told you I did it would you go on the way you did?" Hamish questioned. Randall and Lilith looked at each other in silence, Hamish nodded "Thought as much" He finalised before walking out into the foyer. Randall sighed "What're you doing?" He asked. Hamish turned around "Your job!" He muttered. Randall furrowed "And that is?" He questioned. Hamish turned to him "To protect her!" He shouted angrily. Randall's eyes widened in shock as Hamish left the house. Lilith looked off as her lip began to tremble "What have we done?" She disputed. Randall rubbed his hands through his hair then angrily punched the wall.

Rene stopped as she nearly exited town. She decided to head back. As she was getting closer to campus, she smelt blood. She panicked and ran to scent. She found Hamish, barely alive on the floor "Hamish!" She shouted as she skidded across the leaves towards him. She picked him up "No, no, no, don't you fucking dare!" She yelled. He gripped onto her hand and smiled "Don't worry about me" He muttered. Tears tripped Rene's eyes "Don't give up on me!" She yelled. His eyes shut and she let out a painful roar.

Randall jerked up and felt the pain in his chest "Lilith!" He shouted. Lilith raced to the stairs "You heard that too!" She replied. Randall grabbed his jacket "We need to go! Now!" He yelled. Lilith nodded and hurried down the stairs.

They reached the scene and saw Rene crying with Hamish in her arms. Grafton also arrived "So, I wasn't the only one that heard that" He realised. Rene looked up and saw the three "You asshole!" Rene aimed at Randall. She got up off her knees and stormed over to him. She began to push and hit him "You left him on his own to find me!? Why did you do that?! Why?!" She cried in anger. Randall lifted his arms in defence to the point that Grafton had to lift her off of him. Lilith ran over to Hamish "Fuck! Don't do this to us!" She yelled. Grafton pulled Rene way and pulled her head onto his chest as he hushed her "Don't worry love. I've got you now" He hushed. She cried sorrowfully into his chest. Lilith began to use magic to attempt to bring him back. Lilith's hand slowly dropped onto his stomach "Hamish..." She cried. Randall placed his hands on the back of his head. Rene's cries were that heartwrenching that they all squinted every time she let out a yell.

Five minutes after Hamish spoke his last words, he gasped loudly. His eyes widened as he leaned up. Rene pulled herself away from Grafton and ran towards Hamish "Hamish! Oh my god!" She panicked. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath "Sana Vulnera" She hummed. His wounds slowly closed over. He patted his chest and stomach "Holy shit!" He laughed. Rene cried as she laughed.