"I had qualms!" she assured him. "You were the one with no qualms. I was always afraid that your mother would see me, or someone would tell on me!"

Adam chuckled quietly. "I cannot imagine how awkward and odd this must be for you to so suddenly be here as a guest. I can only hope that you will grow to feel comfortable ... as I do hope this will be your home one day."

Claire looked between them with a lovestruck expression on her face, and Grace immediately clamped her lips shut. She didn't much like having to have a chaperone as she felt her cheeks redden.

Adam seemed to read her hesitation immediately. "Claire, why don't I see you into the drawing room? My father expects Grace presently." He offered his arm to Claire. "I will come and collect you in a little while."

Grace climbed the stairs and took herself to the duke's bedroom, knowing the way perfectly. She knocked on the door quietly and opened the door when she heard him beckon her softly.

Having only seen the duke the day before, Grace thought she would be accustomed to his appearance, but he seemed to grow paler each day. His face was looking a little gaunt, as his cheekbones became more pronounced. She remembered her own father struggling to stay nourished towards the end of his life and she felt a pang of sadness in her chest.

"Good morning, Your Grace," she greeted, curtseying in the threshold before she walked tentatively into the room.

The duke smiled from his bed, the skin around his eyes and mouth crinkling. "Ah, Grace, good morning. I am pleased Cecily's note found you. I would like for you to read to me each day. Would that be alright?"

Before she could answer, Peregrine interjected.

"Of course, you would never deny a dying man his wish, would you?"

Grace's eyes widened.

Her reaction amused Peregrine and he chuckled. "I am sorry," he apologised. "I am beginning to have a rather gloomy sense of humour."

Grace sat down in the chair that she had occupied the day before, not before collecting The Divine Comedy from the duke's bedside table. "I am pleased to read to you, Your Grace," she promised him, "though I am certain you could find far better orators."

"There is something pleasing about your voice, Grace," complimented the duke calmly. "I think it is because you do not sound as though you have been educated to walk around with a book on top of your head, or to speak from the back of your throat."

Grace supposed her accent was as normal and as simple as any other Hertfordshire villager's. "I am pleased that something such as my voice can affect you so, Your Grace."

"My son seems in quite excellent spirits today," Peregrine commented. "Better than I have seen him ... ever."

Grace opened the book to the place she had left yesterday as she smiled to herself. "I suppose I am in good spirits as well," she replied.

"That is good." Peregrine's eyes flickered a little, and his voice strained for a moment as though he was growing tired. "Tell me, Grace. Are you a good girl?"

"Your Grace, you ought to rest," urged Grace. "Might I fetch someone?"

Peregrine frowned. "No," he mumbled. "Stay. Answer the question."

Grace nodded. "I try to be," she replied. "I ... I believe that one can always be better, but I strive to be as kind, compassionate, and selfless as I can. I think it is effort that makes us good. Trying makes you good. So, yes, to answer your question."

"Hmm," sighed Peregrine, sounding quite lethargic. "I believe you are good. Read, please."

Grace resumed from her place, and read for close to half an hour, looking up from her page every few lines to watch Peregrine. His eyes were closed, and his chest was moving up and down evenly. Soon, she was certain, he was asleep.

As silently as she could, Grace closed the book and returned it to the bedside table, before tiptoeing out of the bedroom and shutting the door behind her. Adam seemed to have had the same thought to come and collect her as he was nearing the duke's bedroom as Grace closed the door.

He was smiling once again, and Grace was still so pleased to see his happiness. It hurt to know how fleeting it would be when he had such pain so imminently near. How thankful she would be in years to come to have played a part in bringing him joy during this time.

"Your father is sleeping," she told him quietly as they met in the hall.

Now that they were alone, Adam brought Grace into his arms, holding her close to him. Grace settled into his embrace, resting her cheek against his chest.

"My mother has invited you to have dinner with my family on Saturday," she told him. "Will you come?"

"Now, I might have to think about it," Adam teased. At Grace's scoff, he laughed, and agreed. "We have a little time before luncheon. Susanna is downstairs with Claire. What do you say we sneak away for a little while?"

----

I hope you enjoyed it! 

I had my first week back in the classroom with my class! It felt SO GOOD to finally have them back and at their tables where they belong. 

One of my kids was saying my name A LOT this week, like she would be saying, "Laura, can you help me with this, Laura?" (we use first names at my school FYI) and she came up to me and said, "Do you know why I've been saying your name so much?" and I asked, "Why?" and she said, "Because I missed saying your name while we were doing remote learning." WHEN I TELL YOU I MELTED ON THE SPOT!!! God, I missed them so much. 

And then of course by Friday they were doing my head in because they were so tired and chatty hahaha - we all needed the weekend! 

IN OTHER NEWS WE ONLY HAD 1 COVID CASE TODAY!!!!! The harshest lockdown in the world has WORKED and we might be free (ish) tomorrow after our Premier's press conference. I'm just hoping we can go to people's houses because my nephew is turning 2 on Tuesday and I'd love to be able to see him. 

We had:

- curfew 8pm

- no going more than 5kms (3 miles) from your house

- mandatory face masks

- no shops/restaurants ANYTHING open except for essential retail (like supermarkets and pharmacies)

- schools shut

- everyone working from home

- no gatherings of ANY kind

- $1600 fines for anyone who broke the rules

And I'm certain a million other things that I'm forgetting. But it worked. We went from 723 cases a day to 1 today. Just literally so happy. Like I consider myself to be a pretty mentally healthy person and this is killing me, so I can't imagine what it's like for people who are suffering with mental health issues. But we did it. We got there!

If you are in lockdown, keep powering through, because it works! I haven't seen my best friend since May, and I might be able to see her after this weekend. 

Keep pushing! Vote and comment!