Before they all sat down to breakfast, there was a knock at the door. A footman from Ashwood had been sent with a note for Grace from the duchess.

Dear Miss Denham,

The duke expects you at ten o'clock to read to him as a standing appointment each day.

You will be invited to stay for luncheon thereafter.

Yours,

Cecily Beresford

Claire read the letter from over Grace's shoulder. "Luncheon at Ashwood?" she gasped. "Everyday?"

Grace had been reading The Divine Comedy to the duke, in which he spent much of the time asking her questions. Perhaps he had more. Whatever the purpose, of course she would oblige him. If she could bring a dying man comfort in any way, it was her Christian duty. She hoped, as well, that his father's comfort would ease Adam's mind as well.

"But you will come with me, won't you?" asked Grace. "As my chaperone?"

Claire smiled excitedly. "You will need a chaperone, yes." She grinned. "Oh, I would only be too happy to oblige."

"If you see Adam, which I am certain you shall, will you ask him to dinner on Saturday?" proposed Mrs Denham as she stirred her tea. "I will ask Kate and Jim, also. He has not had the opportunity to sit down with all of us yet ... and I think it best it happens sooner rather than later."

Grace understood her mother's meaning. "Yes," she confirmed. "I will ask."

***

It felt terribly wrong to approach the front door even though she was invited. Grace did not think she had ever used the front door of Ashwood House. Not even as a child. She had always entered through the kitchen.

She held onto Claire's arm as they climbed the steps up to the front door, which was opened pre-emptively by Mr Cole. How odd that was to be greeted by the butler as a guest, and not ordered about as a maid. Grace was quite at a loss of what to do.

"What an exciting twenty-four hours it has been for you, Miss Denham," remarked Mr Cole.

Grace was unsure if his comment was meant to be negative or positive. Mr Cole was a traditionalist, she believed, and it was certainly not traditional for a housemaid to be raised up as high as Grace was.

"Grace!"

Grace was saved from finding words for Mr Cole as Adam descended the stairs towards them. He was smiling, and it gave her such peace to see such an expression. As he drew closer, she noticed that the ends of his hair were damp, and they were curling a little more than usual.

Adam stopped himself from embracing Grace, and instead, bowed his head to her, before turning to Claire and offering her the same greeting. "Miss Denham, Miss Claire." His actions were formal, but his eyes were excited and intense.

"Good morning, milord," Grace and Claire said in unison as they curtseyed.

"May I take your coats, ladies?" asked Mr Cole.

Claire immediately went to her buttons, but Grace uttered, "I can put them away. We do not mean to trouble you."

"Please," urged Mr Cole, a small smile burgeoning. "Allow me." He took their coats and left with instructions from Adam for a two tea trays to be organised. One for Claire, and one for Grace up in the duke's bedroom.

"I feel so strange," whispered Grace when the three were alone in the foyer.

Adam smiled. "You had no qualms running rings around Cole when we were children," he reminded her.