-35-

Mel's POV

"Okay, that's it for today! Please come back again," Joe called across the training pitch and Daan, Caitlin and I ran from our station towards the coaches.

"Your crosses are really getting better and better," said Caitlin and I looked at her smiling.

"Thank you..."

"Yes, you're getting more confident in the game," added Daan and I looked at her gratefully. She patted me on the shoulder and we joined the circle with the others.

"As you probably know, we have the friendly match in Manchester next week on Friday," our coach started and we all nodded.

"Yesterday we agreed within the club that we want to play another test game against our own U21 tomorrow. The game will take place tomorrow afternoon, so we will have a tactics meeting tomorrow instead of training."

We all nodded again and Joe looked at us all for a moment. Then he smiled slightly.

"Since it's a friendly, we're going to try a lot of things and change often. This has the advantage that even players who have had little playing time up to now are now getting some," he continued and then looked at me briefly.

"Sounds like it's time for your debut..." Jill whispered to me and I looked at her smiling.

"Run three more laps and then you're off until tomorrow morning."

With those words, Joe let us go and we ran. Jill ran next to me and we were overtaken by Leah and Jordan. They both looked at me dismissively and then accelerated a little. I looked after them questioningly. Had I done something wrong? Meanwhile our season preparation had been going on for a week and slowly you could tell that everyone was eager to play again.

"Are you excited about tomorrow?" asked Daan, who had caught up to both of us, and I shrugged my shoulders slightly.

"Who said I could play anyway..."

"Oh Mel!", grinned Jill and I could even hear her rolling her eyes.

"It's alright...", I murmured and accelerated my tempo a bit to get away from both of them. What if I was already getting my hopes up it didn't come true anyway?

After the three laps I walked to the cabin and took a shower. When I came back I felt again looks on me and lowered my eyes. Silently I changed my clothes and put my things into the locker.

"There's one thing I don't understand..." Jordan finally said and I felt her look on me.

"How is it that you are so good all of a sudden? Or is it just now and soon you'll be back to your old self again?," she asked and I closed my eyes for a moment.

"It is kind of unfair! We all had to fight for minutes and she only gets them because she's suddenly good?!", Leah added and I pressed my lips together. Then I stuffed the rest of my stuff in my locker. I just wanted to get out of here.

"Speechless now? Or are we right?!", Jordan asked me directly and I felt tears rise in my eyes but didn't dare to answer.

"Leave her alone", Jill hissed. She had just come back from the shower and I took a deep breath.

"It was so obvious that you are getting involved now! But we are not the only ones who think it is weird. The others just don't dare to say anything because don't mess with Jill's girlfriend," Leah interjected and I felt even more looks on me. But that only made things worse...

"You should leave her alone! What don't you understand about that?!", my girlfriend hissed and I wiped a tear from my cheek but still couldn't say anything. It all reminded me of my past...