7: Tears

Topanga's POV:

I watched as Riley dragged Maya to the apartment. I had a strong feeling that Riley was forcing Maya into all this. Maya didn't look happy at all.

"Maya, you wanna see my room?" Riley asked.

"Sure."

They ran up to her room as I followed. Maya looked around the room in awe. She clenched her fists, almost seeming jealous. Oh of course she's jealous! I hated that Riley was shoving all of this down her throat. I wanted to scoop Maya up and drive her back home, where she'd prefer to be.

"What do you think?"

"It's-it's beautiful. You're really lucky."

"What? You can't be saying that your room isn't like this."

I decided to go downstairs and leave them alone for a little.
-------------------------------------------
Maya's POV:

"No...it isn't actually." I sighed.

"What? Well what's it like?"

"Well it's got a mattress...and a drawer...and a closet."

"That's it?!"

"Pretty much."

"Wow."

"You know...not everyone can afford as much as you." I noted angrily.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you."

"Well it sure seems like it! You dragged me up to your large, fully furnished apartment, showed me your fully decorated room, and bragged all about it!"

"Maya I-I'm sorry."

"No you're not! What even made you think I wanted to come up here? What made you think I wanted you to bother me during lunch? In fact, what made you think I wanted you to talk to me?!"

"I thought we were friends..."

"Well you thought wrong! I NEVER wanted to be friends with you ever since preschool! You get me so angry! Why did you think I hit you all the time? I've stayed up all night crying because I don't have a dad or any money, but you do!"

"I-I'm sorry..." Tears filled her eyes as my harsh words struck her. "I was just trying to be nice..."

"And I don't like it! You're so annoying!Just do me a favor and leave me alone!"

"I'm sorry!" She cried out. I noticed all the tears streaming down her face. Oh god, did I actually just say all that.

"I am too..." I started to walk out of the room until I felt her hand on my shoulder.

"It's ok. I don't blame you...I haven't considered your feelings." She wiped away her tears.

"It-it's just, I haven't ever made any real friends and I'm not used to having someone really close to me. I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings, I didn't actually mean all that, I was just really angry."

"You're forgiven. Do you want to talk about it?"

"That...that would be really nice." I smiled. We sat down on her weird window seat thing.

"I've always wondered what happened to your dad...you told me that he left but I really don't understand how."

"I didn't know at first either. But a few days ago, my mom told me that they aren't married anymore. She told me not to be angry at him, because it's not his fault. He's married to someone else now."

"What?!"

"Yeah, I don't have many memories with him. I've never talked to him again ever since he left. He never even called on my birthday..." Tears filled my eyes, causing my sight to go blurry.

"I'm so sorry, Maya." She pulled me into a hug, I sobbed on her shoulder.

"I'm ok. It felt good to talk about it. Thank you Riley." I wiped my tears and both our eyes darted to the door. We saw Topanga watching us with a sympathetic look on her face. I felt a little embarrassed and began to blush.

"Girls, dinner is ready." She smiled.