1: Maya who?

Topanga's POV:

It was Riley's first day of preschool. I was more nervous than she was, but I reassured myself that I had nothing to worry about. After all, Riley has grown to be an energetic, kind, and bright 4 year old.

Cory originally wanted to take her but I ended up agreeing to take her because he had to leave to work. I ran upstairs to her pink, barely decorated room. Don't get me wrong, we love Riley to pieces and would do anything for her, it was just that we couldn't afford much yet. I was attending law school and had two part time jobs. While Cory was done with college, had a part time job, and was looking for a permanent teaching job.

I carefully shook Riley. "Riley sweetie, it's your first day of preschool! You don't want to miss it!" I whispered.

"Huh?" She shook her head confusingly.

"Your first day of preschool, remember? We had this talk yesterday ya'know."

"Oh yeah! Yay!" She slid off her bed and jumped up and down.

"Come on, let's go brush your teeth first."

"Preschool! Preschool!" She chanted as we walked to the bathroom. I brushed her teeth, washed her face, and trotted to her room to pick out an outfit.

"How about...this one!" I pulled out a simple, yellow, flower dress.

"I want pink!" She pointed at the closet.

"Alright...this one?" I pulled out a spaghetti strapped, pink patterned dress.

"No! The other pink one!"

I started getting confused. Riley had so many pink dresses, pink being her favorite color, I didn't know which one she was talking about.

"This one mommy!" She started tugging on a cute, short sleeved, sparkly, pink dress.

"This one?" I pulled it out.

She nodded. I smiled and got her dressed.
--------------------------------------------
Katy's POV:

I rushed out of the diner, looking for Maya. It was her first day of preschool, like many others. My shift began earlier than when her preschool opened, so I took her to work with me. Now however, I couldn't find her. I tried looking under the diner tables.

"BOO!" She yelled, scaring the daylight out of me.

"Maya!" I scolded.

"Haha I scared you!" She grinned with her tiny white teeth.

"Come on, it's time for school."

"Yay!" She came out from under the table and ran to the door, waiting for me to open. I grabbed her backpack and pushed the door open.

"I'm taking my break now!" I yelled out to my boss. She gave me a thumbs up. So I headed out the door, holding Maya's tiny hand.

The preschool wasn't that far from the diner and I didn't have a car, so we ended up walking. Once we reached there, Maya pointed at a little girl with her other hand in her mouth. I looked at the girl Maya was pointing at. She was the most adorable little brunette with a sparkle pink dress on.

"I want that dress!" Maya yelled to me, taking her hand out of her mouth.

"Ok sweetheart."

"Can I have it? Say yes!"

"Honey, I don't know where to buy it."

"Ask her then!"

I sighed and walked up to the lady that was with the little brunette. She quickly looked at me.

"Can I help you?" She said in the most polite voice.

"Is that your daughter?" I asked, looking down at the girl.

"Yes, her name is Riley." She smiled.
"I'm sorry to bother you, but you see, my daughter, Maya, seems to really like your daughters dress and wanted me to ask where you bought it from."

"Oh don't worry about it, my husband got it for her from Children's Place!"

"Thank you so much!" My phone started to ring. "Excuse me for a second." I let go of Maya's hand and answered the call.

"Your break is almost over! You better hurry!" It was my boss.

"I'll be there in a second!" I hung up and ran back to work, completely forgetting about Maya.
--------------------------------------------
Topanga's POV:

As we all waited in line for the preschool doors to open, I heard a soft whining. I look around only to find the little blonde girl, Maya. She seemed lost.

"Are you ok?" I bent down and asked her.

"I can't find my mom!" She frowned and crossed her arms.

"Well you can stay with me until we find her. How does that sound?"

"Ok."

"Here, you can play with my daughter, Riley." I led Riley to Maya and watched as they talked.

"I really like your dress!" Maya's eyes gleamed as she watched the sparkles in the bright sun.

"Thanks! I like your outfit too!" Riley giggled.

"My mommy is going to get me a dress just like yours!"

"Yay, then we can be twins!"

They were both so adorable. I tried looking around for Maya's mom. I couldn't find her anywhere. I frowned at the thought that Maya's mom abandoned her. A mom wouldn't do that to her child, right?

"Friends?" Riley held out her hand.

"Friends!" Maya joined her hand with Riley's and shook it.

I sighed as the preschool doors finally opened and Maya's mom was still nowhere in sight.

"Maya, Riley, let's go." I smiled at them both as they hugged.

"What about my mommy?" Maya asked, breaking up the hug.

"I don't think your mom is going to be here anytime soon. I'm sure she'll show up after school ends, alright sweetie?" I grabbed Riley's hand and held mine out for Maya.

She pouted and tears began to form in her light blue eyes.

"No no don't cry! Look I promise I'll...buy you an ice cream after school if you don't cry!" I suggested.

"A big one?" A tear rolled down her cheek.

"The biggest one I can find!" I promised her.

"Ok!" She wiped away her tears with her sleeve and grabbed my hand.