the storm with skin

“As if you were on fire from
within, the moon lives on the
lining of your skin.”

•• ━━━━━ ••●•• ━━━━━ ••

best revenge is success.

THE WALLS BUILT were solid, concrete and decorated beautifully with graffiti. Meredith almost didn't believe she was capable of creating something so beautiful. Allowing other people to affect her was the worst thing she had ever done. And to build walls around her to keep them away was mean. But to make them so aesthetically pleasing that they don't realize she's keeping them away. It was ingenious and Meredith was almost shocked she could come up with such an idea.

Maybe it was a Slytherin thing — the brilliance, the glory and the ambition. She belonged here and ever since Christmas, she knew she didn't want to be a Gryffindor if they were all chivalrous, traditional and uptight prats. They weren't much different from the Slytherins after all. They too had their own set of morals and they too had their prejudices. Just because they were all too open with the idea of letting muggleborns in didn't make them any better. Gryffindors were too proud in thinking bravery would get them anywhere.

Alakay was right. The brain was the most important muscle in the body. And she was infuriated that her parents had expected her to malnourish it. Knowledge is food for the brain. Her magic was a large part of her brain. Her power. . . They tried to stop her not because they didn't understand exactly what she could be capable of with the magic. They tried to stop her because they knew exactly what she could do. And that thought terrified them. That same thought excited her.

The sleeves of her jacket were too big on her. Mostly because it wasn't her jacket. It was Lucius's. She had a taller stature than Alakay and Severus at twelve but it was only a matter of time before they both hit puberty and grew taller than her. Like Lucius was. He was fifteen now and as tall as five feet eight, and he kept growing still. Meredith hoped she inherited her father's tall genes so as to not remain stuck at five feet four. And because of his taller frame, most of Lucius's clothes were big on her.

Initially she was wary of wearing his clothes. Hers were still drying and she had realized she had nothing to wear but her uniform,all thanks to her procrastination in putting them to the laundry chute. She was just about to leave the Common Room in her uniform when Lucius had stopped her and accio'd his green cashmere sweater from his dorm, and thrown it at her. "You're a Slytherin," he had said with a scowl. "Wearing a uniform on weekends is tactless."

She had fumbled with the soft material of the sweater for a minute or so before she went back to her room and put it on with a pair of leggings. And then, she stood in her empty room that she usually shared with Narcissa and Valentina Greengrass, and stared at her reflection for three whole minutes. The weather was too big on her but didn't hang off her shoulder too much. An auto-fitting charm, she presumed. And she was indulged with the angel leather perfume that was characteristic to Lucius Malfoy. She smelled expensive like him, and the material was durable and soft at the same time. It was then she realized that whatever feelings she had for Lucius Malfoy was stemmed from her issues at home.

He had been a better person to her than anyone else had ever been. Not even her family members cared for her as much as Lucius had in the past school year. He had given her his previous notes to study from, his essays to copy from when she was too tired to do them on her own. He had sat her down and explained the most frequently asked questions of first year exams. He had quizzed her before the exams. He had said, "It's alright, I have my OWLs next year. I could do with some revising," when she had asked him to stop wasting his time. He had ensured she, Alakay and Severus were fed, watered and slept well before the exams. He had also illegally brewed Calming Draughts for her and Severus when they were on the verge of an anxiety attack.