the girl with the strange eyes

i saw all the mirrors on earth
and none of them reflected me.”

•• ━━━━━ ••●•• ━━━━━ ••

great pretenders.

THE TRAIN WAS PACKED, Meredith noticed. She partly blamed herself for wandering the station so long, marvelling at it, when her brother James had already gotten on the train the moment he turned away from their parents, unlike her, who had remained behind and got on the train at exactly eleven in the am, just as it blew a whistle and lurched forward. She sighed as she walked down the long corridors looking for a place to sit. Her brother had gone off, probably already attempting to make new friends.

She had passed a few carriages, filled with children hanging out of their windows to say the last goodbyes to their families. Some compartments had strange kids with strange animals. Some had muggleborns, Meredith realized with distaste. She had been taught to associate with them for they too were humans, but something in her always chided her against it for she had read about the war between muggles and wizards and she knew it was because of them they had to go to hiding, not live in the open like a normal human being. Nonetheless she smiled at them when a overjoyed, overawed muggleborn girl with blond hair grinned at her. The brightness in the little witch's face was so loud that Meredith almost stumbled.

"Hey!" a voice called out to him. For a fleeting second she thought it was James. She wasn't used to being away from him so long. But then she noticed it wasn't James and something in her heart did a little backflip when her eyes met the piercing icy-blue-grey of a startlingly blonde boy dressed in a prim white shirt and trousers.

"Merlin," she gasped, oggling at the boy who now stood in front of her, a lot taller than her. "You're sparkling!"

The boy made a strange face and then threw his head back laughing. "I'm not sure if that's a compliment or not," he said. His voice was midway between the adulthood and child.

"That was, that was," she said, trying her best to get rid of the blush rising on her face. "You're Lucius Malfoy aren't you?"

"Oh," he smirked, leaning down a little to look at the girl. "You know me!"

"Of course I know you," she scoffed, running her fingers through her hair. "Malfoy heir. Sparkling blond. I tripped on your father's robes a few days ago in Diagon Alley. Goodness, they were silky!"

Lucius Malfoy cracked up again, leaning on the window next to him, as a bunch of Hufflepuffs passed. They were leaving the city now, white smoke billowing around them as they reached the hills. "What's your name?" he asked after he was done laughing, although a infuriatingly charming grin remained on his face making that thing do cartwheels in her chest now.

"I'm Meredith Potter," she said as nicely as she could, without stuttering. She noticed how this eyes widened only slightly and his grin dropped. "Wait, why did you stop smiling!"

His lips twitched as he straighted up, looking down at her, trying to fight off the smile. He cleared his throat and said, "What house do you think you'd be in?"

Something dark passed over Meredith. She was sure her eyes had changed color as she looked at the sparkling blond boy in front of her. If he had noticed, he didn't show at all. She was worried she'd not be a Gryffindor because of her sickness. She was worried how badly her family would react to that. . .