FANCY DRESS PARTY

Contest Profile: WattpadVampires

"I'm digging the vampire costume," came a sleazy voice from the back of a loud club as I walked past. He walked up to me, smelling of sweat, alcohol, cigarettes and weed. "I have something you can suck."

Having moved from a prepper commune in the middle of nowhere, this was the part of urban city life I did not care for. Before he could blink, the man was on the ground, my teeth sank deep into his throat. He gurgled, trying to speak as his thoughts caught up with reality. I pulled my fangs out and licked his wounds closed.

"You will never bother another woman minding her own business," I said. An order, not a request.

"Yeah... okay," he stammered, staggering to his feet, and covering his throat.

I was trying to be good this lifetime. Trying not to kill too many people. A few minutes later, I walked into a house party a few blocks away, hoping I really didn't have to kill anyone tonight.

My mood immediately changed when I saw her. I'd seen her before. Lots of times. She played her cello on a balcony in the apartment building across from mine. Some of the most beautiful music I'd heard in decades. She had her back to me, bopping to the party music.

"Hi. I think I've seen you before," I said.

"I couldn't say the same," she replied, before turning around. "Considering that I'm..."

She paused, her cloudy, grey, unseeing eyes looking into mine, catching me off guard. The way she looked at me...

"...considering that I'm blind."

I hoped she could hear the smile in my voice. "I'm not sure what to say to that."

She smiled back.

After hours of talking and dancing and laughing, we ended up in the bathroom, making out.

"Are you up for more?" I asked.

She nodded. "When I woke up this morning, I didn't think I'd be hooking up with an actual vampire."

Time stopped. I knew right then she wasn't talking about my "costume". She knew. I took a deep breath and let my fangs fall even lower. I couldn't believe that I'd found the first person I could connect to in years, but had to kill her, almost right away. I wrapped my hand around her throat, turned her head and squeezed, preparing to drain her.

"Wait! Before you kill me," she said, fighting to look up at me. "You said it had been a while since you had friends. That you miss it. Well, it's been a while since I saw a supernatural being, the only thing I can see. I miss seeing."

That took me by surprise. I let her go. She gasped, catching her breath.

"I don't want to lie to you," she said.

I didn't expect this, but I didn't mind it. Maybe even liked it more than I could admit. So, instead of draining her blood, I gently kissed away the bruises my hands had made on her neck.