Chapter 1

BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY

      In this world that technology is rampant and prevalent to all ages. It's nonstop and no one knows how to prevent it from escalation. Is people wants   progression which is modern library or retrospection which is traditional library ?

   According to Matt Richel " there is a widespread belief among teachers that students use of digital technology is hampering their attention spans and ability to persevere in the face of challenging tasks.

      Teachers believe that most of the student attentions focuses more in technology in just a span of time. Because  in our generation we are adopting globalization. As a fact most of the millennial has their own gadget and they spend their time on it. It also gives them the ability to accept challenging tasks.

      One was conducted by the Pew Internet Project, a division of the Pew Research Center that focuses on technology-related research. The other comes from common Sense Media, a nonprofit organization in San Francisco that advises parents on the media used by children. It was conducted by Vicky Rideout, a researcher who has previously shown that media use among children and teenagers ages to 8 to 18 has grown so fast that they are on the average spend twice as much time with screens each year as they spend in school.

      Scholars who study the role of media in the society say no long-term studies have been done that adequately show how and if student attention span has changed because of the use of digital technology. But there is mounting indirect evidence that constant of technology can affect behavior, particularly in developing brains, because of heavy stimulation and rapid shifts in attention.

      Most of the children ages 8 to 18 are using digital technology has grown fast in just a span of time. Most of the students spend their time using technologies in school. Because most of the students have their own gadgets that has an easy access to internet.

      Scholars who are the researchers of role of media says that there is no long-term study that shows how the students spend their time using digital technology in just a span, but there is an indirect evidence that technology has an effect in students behavior and mentally stableness. It's also evident to all the users.

      Kristine Purcell, the associate director for research at Pew, acknowledge that the findings could be viewed from another perspective : that the education system must adjust to better accommodate the way students learn, a point that some teachers brought up in focus groups themselves.

      The educational system must adjust according to the perception of the students for the better learning for them, at a point where the teachers brought up to focus in every groups.

      The surveys also found that many teachers said technology could be a useful educational tool. In the Pew survey, which was done in conjunction with the College Board and the National Writing Project, roughly 75 percent of 2,462 teachers surveyed said that the internet and search engines had "mostly positive" impact on student research skills. And they said  such tools had made students more self sufficient researchers.

      Technology can be useful educational tool because technology is a wide variety of information. Being an internet user has a positive impact on every students researching skills. The students can be effective and efficient researchers.

     Do people think on what might happen to the near future? Well, maybe the others will and the others will not. But did you also think on what might happen if the library is gone. Why most of the people in our modern generation depends on NEW MEDIA" (INTERNET) ? Well, maybe some of you will say that it is better to use internet than books, because when you use books it might waste your time to find the things you need especially to those who doesn't know some of the techniques they can do when it comes in using books compared to the internet that has 24 hours internet connection.

      As we compare the status of the students before and to the modern students, there is a big gap or difference when it comes on how the teacher teaches and treats the students' and their is also a big gap to the students on how they find information. Before when the teachers give or leave an assignments to search something, the students are really excited to go to the library or should I say the TRADITIONAL LIBRARY" . But now, as we compare the traditional students with that of the modern students.  When  the teachers leave an assignment most of the time the students might get their different types of gadgets that can easily find information they needed. Because they think going to the library can waste their time though sometimes there are some students who still go to the library unlike others who will just pick up their phone, tablets, laptops and etc. Then, after that  type their assignments then in just a second , there are different sites will pop up where all you have to do is just browse , read and click the sites where you think is right. That is what the other students do. As time pass by, maybe the old library that we used to visit every time might also turn into a computer room.

      But sudden changes is not bad because it will help to prepare students for their future careers, which will inevitably include the use of wireless technology. Integrate­ technologies into the classroom is definitely a great way to reach diversity in learning styles. It gives students the chance to interact with their classmates more by encouraging collaboration.
Technology helps the teachers prepare students for the real world environment.

      As our nation becomes increasingly more technology-dependent, it becomes even more necessary that to be successful citizens, students must learn to be tech-savvy.

    Integrating technology in education everyday helps students stay engaged. Todays students love technology so they are sure to be interested in learning if they can use the tools they love.

    Nowadays, since internet is rampant that all people can easily access internet and everyone can post their own opinions. But not all students are effective and efficient researchers in finding information or answers for their assignments or projects. They don't know the advantages and disadvantages of using internet in gthering the data.

STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM

  Millennials nowadays is into new media. As they are researching about their assignments and projects they often go and research on internet. This study aims to develop the students of (name of school) High School Grade 11 students to be effective and efficient researchers.

The researchers sought to answer the following :

1.Why most of Grade-11 students use internet as a useful tool in getting information?

2. Is the content of Internet reliable ? Why?

3. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using internet?

4. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using books in library ?

5. The differences of library to Internet when it comes to students researching about their assignments and etc ?

SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY

      This study is intended to help the Grade 11 Senior High school students to be effective and efficient researchers in getting information on Internet that they needed in school .This may also gives them a helpful sites to visit and know the reliable sources on internet.

      Moreover, the Millennials are into technology nowadays including Grade 11 students and it is given that most of them, do have their own gadgets that has an easy access on Internet.

      This research intends to benefit not only the students, teachers and the community but also the other researchers who may use this paper as baseline of their researches regarding internet as reliable sources of information for the students.

SCOPE AND DELIMITATION OF THE STUDY

      This study attempted to determine the Internet as easy, fast way and reliable sources in getting information for the students of Irawan National High School.

      This research was delimited to sample of 15 students of Grade 11 Senior High school enrolled in General Academic Strands during SY of 2016-2017.