Chapter 60: Power

Monday, November 3

"Here they are," said Corrie. "My poster, Annie's poster, and Edie's bag. We decided not to worry about the voodoo dolls, but you can have them, too, if you want." She, Dawn, and Roe were all standing in front of Professor Lal's desk after class had ended. Energy was still racing through her from the magic practice they had done, and her veins felt like they were tingling.

"I'm sure this will suffice," said Professor Lal, looking over the posters and nodding. "And really, Corrie, after the first half of this semester you should know that there is no voodoo involved in those dolls. No one on this campus, as far as I'm aware, practices voodoo."

Corrie shrugged, uncomfortable with the criticism. "It's sort of shorthand. Everybody knows it means a doll that affects a real person. Well, most humans know, anyway. And calling them magic dolls makes me think they're going to come to life all of a sudden or something." Dawn, on Corrie's left, was digging in her bag.

"I would not rule that out." Professor Lal set the posters aside. "Thank you. I will return these to you once I have investigated and hopefully lowered the level of magic. I do intend to get to the bottom of this."

Dawn leaned forward across the desk, some paper in her hand. "Can you take a look at this, too? I didn't mention it before because I want it to be a surprise for Rico, but I bought it at the craft fair, too." It was the origami dragon, Corrie realized, though it was folded flat and not as recognizable anymore, despite the scales drawn on the sides. "I haven't tried doing anything with it," Dawn continued, "and as far as I know it hasn't moved on its own or anything like that, but I want to make sure it isn't going to before I give it to him."

"Of course, I understand," said Professor Lal. "I will try to take care with it." She placed it carefully on top of the bag. "Good work in class today, all three of you," she added. "Corrie, I can see that if you need to work on anything, it will be controlling your use of magic, not finding more power."

Corrie grinned, pleased with herself, even though the memory of class was a little embarrassing. They'd been learning to find their magic power, and using it to light small candles, as Professor Lal said that fire was the easiest element to summon. Corrie had stared at her candle for the first half of class, dutifully searching within herself for the magic that Professor Lal said had a ninety percent chance of being there, but feeling foolish and not really believing she was doing it correctly or would end up with any magic at all. Then all of a sudden she'd found it and flared her candle so hard it had melted away all its wax and gone out a moment later. No one else's fire had been quite so powerful. "I think I know what I'm doing now," she said. "Next time I'll make a smaller flame."

The professor nodded. "Wednesday's task, for most of the class, will be lighting a larger fire, but for you, I will bring a few more candles to practice your control."

"How can it possibly be safe to have so many students lighting fires in this classroom?" Roe asked. "Not that I'm doubting you, Professor Lal, but it seems like a risk to me."

"Well, as I mentioned in the first class, one of the professors who are also healers are available whenever we are doing anything dangerous. Furthermore, like most of your dorms, the magic building is up to fire code, with reinforced doors that should not let fire out. As well, each magic classroom is shielded in such a way that most magic is contained; so no matter how far you throw your magic, it should be absorbed."

Corrie raised her eyebrows. "Only most magic?"

"Not all the dorms are up to fire code?" Dawn asked.

"We cannot guarantee all types of magic, and no, not all of them have reinforced fire doors. In this part of the world, though, fire risk is very low." Professor Lal raised a hand to forestall further questions. "This is not my area; I do not have any authority over the building of this campus. If you have any questions that pertain to magic or education, I am happy to take them."

"I have one," said Roe. "Are our textbooks safe?"

"What do you mean?"

"We bought them on campus. At least, I did. In the bookstore in the administration building."

"Ah." Professor Lal nodded. "A good question. However, you need not worry about that. Like the food in the dining hall, the books are technically purchased off-campus; the bookstore here is simply a middleman. Some of the magic professors did have influence in setting up that system, I admit. Books, if enhanced with magic, can be extremely dangerous things."

Corrie smiled. "Thanks, Professor Lal."

"Glad to be of help." Professor Lal stood up, gathering the things they'd given her in their arms. "I will return these to you when I have finished studying them. Farewell."