Chapter 32: Breakfast

Showered and refreshed and shoveling omelette into her mouth (she was more hungry than she had even realized), Edie felt much better, but listening to Corrie's explanation still freaked her out. Not only had Dawn acted like she was high the night before, but Corrie had gone into the woods by herself and gotten way too close to the faerie ball. "So I don't even know what to do," she finished. "I kind of want to talk to Professor Lal, but I'm also kind of scared to, especially after seeing her at the ball. There aren't that many faeries we trust."

"There's one, at least," Dawn said firmly. "Tom."

"Yeah, but he was there last night, and he didn't do anything."

Dawn shook her head. "But you couldn't find him, right? He might not have even known. I think he's the best place to start, at least."

"I could try asking Leila, too," Edie offered. "She might know this antler-headed guy. She had told me the faerie court has a ball for Halloween."

Corrie grimaced. "Can we not split up for today, at least?"

"You're one to talk," Edie teased.

"I know. I guess that's why I want to stick together right now."

"Hi guys!" Annie said, grinning and sitting herself down next to Edie. "Are you already finishing breakfast? You're up early." Roe joined them as well, sitting across from Annie.

"We all had kind of interesting nights," Edie told her with a sigh. "What about you? What did you do for Halloween?"

"I stayed home," she said vehemently. "I wasn't even going to try leaving the dorm with all kinds of parties and who knows what else going on out there."

"That probably would have been a good idea," Corrie grumbled. "No weird dreams, I hope?"

"Not that I remember."

"Oh, did you have any David Bowie dreams?" Edie asked, remembering their idea about the posters. She hadn't slept in her own bed last night, so it hadn't been properly tested yet.

Corrie shook her head. "I don't remember any dreams last night. I guess I was too tired. Did you do anything last night, Roe?"

"No, not even my usual vision study. Professor Strega wanted to skip it yesterday." Roe shrugged. "I guess I had the same thinking as Annie. On a day when spirits and stuff are supposed to move between worlds... especially at a college that teaches magic and employs faeries, it didn't seem like a good idea to go out and let them see you."

"That's what Rico and Duncan said too," said Dawn. "In fact, Duncan was going to light some candles in their room to keep the spirits out. I probably should have stayed with them."

"Why?" said Annie, alarmed. "What happened?"

"I don't know," she said with a sheepish smile. "I'm okay, but I don't remember any of the things I supposedly did last night at the art department party."

"We'll tell you about it later," Edie said quickly. "When we're not in public."

"Right, of course," said Roe. "So are we going to the craft fair after this?"

"Oh, yeah!" said Corrie. "We should definitely do that. Does it start soon?"

Dawn looked up at the clock on the wall. "Fifteen minutes. If we finish our breakfasts slowly we won't be early."

"No, let's go back to the dorm first," said Edie. She'd finished her breakfast, anyway. "I forgot about the fair. I don't have any money. I might want to get something."

"Yeah, me too," said Annie. "But we should try not to be too late. I don't want to miss whatever it is that's going to explode with glitter all over the place!"

Corrie laughed. "Any new visions about that, Roe? Maybe, something that will tell us exactly when it's going to happen?"

Roe grinned and shook her head. "No, but I should be able to figure out what it is, so we can keep an eye out. You're going to stand near it when I find it, aren't you?"

Corrie put her hand on her chest in mock horror. "Me? Why would I ever want to get covered in glitter?"

They all laughed and started returning their trays, now that everyone had finished breakfast. Edie got some more apple juice out of the machine and gulped it down before hurrying out with the others. She was a little dehydrated, but she'd been out all night without eating or drinking anything, so she figured it made a little sense.

Annie poked her as they were walking back to Gilkey. "You okay?"

"Huh?" Edie realized that she'd been lost in memories from last night and hadn't said anything for more than five minutes. She shrugged and smiled at Annie. "Oh, I'm fine. Just a little tired, I guess. I had a long night."

"Oh, right, of course," said Annie. She looked away quickly, and they were quiet the rest of the walk.