chapter 33

special ch. #1

the one where
santi meets
louise's parents

———————————————

"Parang tanga! Why are you so nervous? They're gonna like you, I swear." I raised one of my hands up and made a cross motion to my heart. It has been exactly 5 months since we started dating and I personally wanted to introduce him to my mother and father. After all, inintroduce niya na ako sa kaniyang magulang as soon as he started courting me.

Kanina ko pa napapansin na nagbobounce yung thighs niya habang nakapark kami sa end ng street namin. I didn't tell my parents that I was going to visit them. This was going to be a surprise.

I didn't know how they were going to take it. I never had a boyfriend. My mom only knows about Yuri and that was a long time ago.

And to be frank, Santiago didn't feel threatened with Yuri. He said that he knows I like him and him alone and that was enough. There was no reason to feel threatened.

"Stop hyperventilating!" inis kong sigaw. "Inhale, exhale. Breathe with me, inhale, exhale."

"Sorry, Lou." he gently grabbed my hand and kissed my wrist. A small touch that gives me butterflies all over. He knows I like it when he does that. "Kasi naman, dapat winarningan mo ako na sa bahay mo tayo papunta. Akala ko naman may pupuntahan tayo dito sa Las Piñas na bilihan, yun pala meet the parents na."

"For the last time, you're going to be okay. I know na magugustuhan ka nila." I said as I intertwined my fingers with his. I observed how my words of assurance calmed him a bit. "But if not?..."

"Huh? Bakit may if not?" putol niya, kabado.

"Let me finish. If not? Who cares? They're not the ones you're dating. Ako 'yon. And you know how much I like you naman 'e. Right?" I leaned closer and leaned up to him so I could see his face.

He smiled and caressed my face softly. I was taken aback when he suddenly planted a soft kiss on my lips.

Of course, this was not our first kiss. But the way he kissed me was enough to send electricity all over my body. Bigla akong nagising. Every time he kissed me, it was like I was having my first kiss over and over.

When he pulled back, he smiled at me. "Tara na."

Before I went our of the car, I planted a small kiss again on his lips and bolted. Medyo natagalan rin siya sa loob ng sasakyan, maybe nagulat siya. Kaya naman, I ran as fast as I can papunta sa house namin so he wont tease me aboug how I initiated the kiss. Mahihiya nanaman ako.

He finally caught up when I was at the door. He didn't say anything, probably because his emotions were planted with fear again. But there was still a lingering smile in his face.

I held his hand in order to calm him and pressed the doorbell.

My dad was the one who opened the door. I saw that mom was leaning over the table to see whoever ringed the doorbell. Maybe because they weren't expecting anyone.

"Louise!" my dad exclaimed, shocked. His gaze went to the boy beside me na kulang nalang ay manginig sa kaba. I stifled a laugh and bit my lips. He opened the door widely, with an incredulous look on his face. I stepped in. But Santi stayed out, unsure of whether to come in. Akala ko ba hindi to mahiyain?

I pulled his arm and he immediately came in.

The scene brought a smile to my lips. My dad was at the side, arms crossed, waiting for me to speak. My mom was still sitting on the table, and dropped whatever document she was holding. It was like a scene in a movie. It was like a dream. I have always waited for the time I could introduce to my parents my boyfriend who I am sure about.

I hope you'll stay. I thought when I looked at Santi one more time and squeezed his hand. "Mom, dad, my boyfriend nga pala."

And then, all hell broke loose.

————————————————

"Okay ka lang ba diyan?"

I pointed at the thin comforter he held as he placed it down on my bedroom floor. He smiled. "Akala ko nga matutulog ako sa sofa niyo ngayong gabi 'e. 'Di ko inexpect na papayagan ng magulang mo na nandito tayo sa isang kuwarto ngayon." he wiggled his eyebrows.

I felt my cheeks warming. Even my ears. Kinunot ko eyebrows ko as a defense mechanism to his jokes. "And what about it? It's not like anything is going to happen." I said defensively in a high voice.

"Hindi mo sure?"

I slapped his shoulder as soon as he said that. He let out a laugh which made me more embarrased. "Gago." I said loudly.

"Ang ingay mo, wag ka ngang magmura, nandoon magulang mo sa kabilang kuwarto." He said while covering my lips with my hands. Pumiglas ako sa hawak niya, I gave him a glare.

"Joke lang, hehe." Kanina, he was so kabado. Ngayon, kulang nalang ay tumalon talon siya sa kuwarto ko dahil [sa tingin namin] mom and dad approves of him. Dad found out he's a swimmer, same as him. Mom found out that he is studying architecture and has a goal in life. He even offered to paint them something to hang in the wall. They both like paintings.

"Tara na tulog na tayo, Louise." he caressed my hair and gave me a quick kiss on my forehead before lying down on the comforter below my bed. "Goodnight." he said. "Night." I replied.

I closed my eyes. But I couldn't sleep. The cold February breeze somehow made the room colder, if that was possible. Nakasarado naman ang bintana. The aircon temperature was normal. But I felt colder than usual. I needed warmth.

So I did something impulsive.

I slowly went down my bed, and gently positioned myself beside Santiago. He was sleeping na, kaya hindi na niya namalayan na nandito na ako sa tabi niya. Maybe he'll only find out in the morning.

I kissed his forehead and placed his arms on my waist so that his warmth can comfort me. I pulled the blanket closer and closed my eyes. Before I could sleep, I felt him pulling me closer, his hold was tight on my waist, I could hear his breathing on my neck. He even slightly tangled his legs on mine.

I woke up early that morning, that was because I felt him kissing my lips, light as a feather. This was the life.

——————————————-