chapter 26

I've been pacing back and forth for so long. I was also this close to biting my nails! But I reminded myself to be calm and not resort to that because once you start, it's hard to stop.

My phone made a sound. I bit my lower lip as I looked at the notification that went through. Paakyat na ako.

I could hear the creaks of the wooden floorboard as I tapped my feet anxiously. Napakamot pa ako ng ulo. Ang tagal! I thought she was on her way up na. May narinig akong katok mula sa pinto at agad akong tumakbo doon para buksan. I saw Liana and pulled her in.

"What happened? Ano sabi niya? What was his reaction? What exactly did you say?" I kept bombarding her with questions. Napansin kong nakatingin lang siya sa baba. I think she felt guilty. Siguro dahil binasted niya si Santiago.

She didn't say anything and walked to the sofa. Hindi parin siya kumikibo. "Uy... what happened, Liana?"

She finally looked at me. She was about to speak when my phone suddenly rang from the counter. I brought my hand up, telling her to wait. The endless rings from my phone was loud, when I finally saw who was calling, agad kong inaccept.

"What?" I said immediately when I accepted the call.

"Putangina! Uy! Gago!" Malakas na sigaw sa akin ni Maria? I thought it was Ysa who was calling. "Oo. Why?"

"Pumunta kayo dito. Emergency. ASAP. Gago! Hoy! Dahan dahan punyeta! Gago parang hin-"

"What's happening?" putol ko. She doesn't seem to be talking to me dahil medyo ramdam kong nilalayo niya ang phone kapag nagmumura siya. "Nasa'n si Ysa?"

"'Eto nasa tabi ko, pota ang bobo talaga."

"Why nga?"

"Basta bilisan niyo!" pinatay na niya kaagad ang tawag. Hala! What was happening? I immediately pulled Liana up. We could talk later. Emergency daw ang nangyari sa kanila 'e. Knowing them, nagaalala ako.

"Let's go." it was a good thing Liana has a car. Maria texted me that they were in a nearby hospital, which made me more anxious. Ano nanaman ba ginawa nilang dalawa?

"What? Where?" natauhan si Liana. Those were the first words she said ever since she came her. "They're in a hospital, di ko alam bakit pero emergency daw. Tara, drive." Liana only nodded and moved quickly.

When we reached the hospital, I texted Maria kaagad kung saan sila. Liana tailed me as I walked quickly. The hospital was busy as usual, sobrang dami ding mga tao. The white walls and clinic-like smell made me want to throw up. I wasn't fond of hospitals. It reminded me of my trips to the pedia when I was young and how I ran trying to avoid the needle.

We reached the second floor and saw Maria waiting for us sa side. "Taena niyo ang tagal amputa."

"'Asan si Ysa?" tanong ni Liana.

"Ayon nasa loob," she gestured to the room behind her.

"Ba't di mo samahan?"

"Gago, nando'n si ano."

"Si ano?"

"Yung tinag niya sa twitter noong isang linggo. 'Di ba kilala niyo naman 'yon?"