sapphic guards & confessions

basically, i have this headcanon that when two females, a guard and a non-guard have romantic feelings towards each other (or even just the non-guard towards the guard) theres a specific line they say to confess. this is honestly one of my favorite things ever, so heres a katecinda one-shot based on it. the sentence will be in bold towards the end <3 also yes. this is wlw specific. yes mcd has wlw specific traditions. yall have do u listen to girl in red or whatever it was, mcd has this:

------

               katelyn sighed. she didn't know what was going on, or why lucinda was ignoring her for the past few days, but it irritated her. she had finally found someone she can confide in who wasn't aphmau, and she somehow messes it up. 

she didn't know why her heart raced at the thought of being paired up with lucinda when they went to explore around the phoenix alliance island, or why she got nervous at the thought of being alone with her. all she knew was it was a similar feeling to when jeffory was around. it was comforting to her--and when she came to the realization that she truly did have feelings for lucinda-- she was glad that it was someone like her.

it hit hard when lucinda started to actively avoid katelyn for days. katelyn didn't know if she said something wrong to her-- said something that offended her, maybe? she wasn't entirely sure, but all she knew was she had to confront lucinda about this. she needed to know if lucinda was upset over something, and how she could help-- even if the situation cant be solved with a swift punch to someone's face.

"if i were lucinda, where would i be?" katelyn whispered to herself as she walked around the shore in front of the ship. she looked up towards the mountains to see lucinda sat at the edge of a smaller hill, looking over the sea to the rising moon. a small smile rose on katelyn's face, "of course she'd be looking over there."

katelyn walked up the path to the edge of the hill, and sat down next to lucinda, who didn't flinch.

"hey katelyn." lucinda said, without turning her head.

katelyn was confused. she had been avoiding her for days, and she acts like she didn't do anything? "hey lucinda."

a tense silence creeped up on both of them.

katelyn finally broke the silence, asking her the question thats been on her mind for the past few days. "lucinda.. i've been meaning to ask. is something bothering you?" katelyn turned to look at lucinda. "am i bothering you?"

lucinda looked down at her swaying feet. "yes.. and no."

"what's that supposed to mean?" katelyn was confused and a bit hurt by her answer, thinking that katelyn herself was the reason lucinda was upset.

"there has been something that's bothering me, yes," lucinda brushed her bangs behind her ear. "the past is just creeping up on me."

"whats wrong lucinda?" katelyn softened up, resting her hand on lucinda's shoulder.

"ever since the ivan incident, it's been hard to trust. the only person i've ever trusted after that ordeal was haley," lucinda breathed. "and then you guys and aphmau came along. it felt nice to finally.. trust again."

lucinda looks up at the moon, that's fully risen in the sky. "but then i started feeling things. they way i felt about ivan in the beginning." lucinda turned to katelyn. "it feels like my judgement is being clouded by infatuation."

"i just dont want the thing with ivan to happen again. it was all my fault." lucinda teared up.

"lucinda, that wasn't your fault. stop beating yourself up over it." katelyn sighed. "you never know who is and isn't trustworthy. there are some people who will manipulate you and won't care about it." katelyn wiped the tear rolling down lucinda's face. "and there are some people who will be there to pull you up. to give you all the support you need, to love you."

"i find it hard to trust people, myself. i just know i trust you." katelyn smiled to lucinda. "i know almost everyone on this island is trustworthy. i mean, i still have my doubts on that aaron guy.. and i most certainly do NOT trust travis." katelyn exclaims.

lucinda lets out a small laugh. "oh come on, he's harmless."

"yea, but he's creepy!"

"you know i like creepy, katelyn." lucinda laughs.

katelyn looks down at her feet. "the thing about you feeling the way you felt about ivan," katelyn bit her lip. "do you have feelings for travis?"

"i mean, i'll admit, hes cute, but no i don't have feelings for travis, katelyn" lucinda groans. "you're a bit dense, you know?"

"HEY!! what'd i do?!" katelyn huffs and angrily crosses her arms.

they both laugh. katelyn is happy that she finally has lucinda back, and that she can comfort her while she's feeling down. she's always disliked seeing her upset, always readying her fist for impact on grounds of if someone upset lucinda. getting to know lucinda was easily one of the best choices katelyn has made, alongside betraying o'khasis and serving as aphmau's guard.

"so.. why have you been avoiding me?" katelyn asks. "you know you can talk to me about anything. you had me worried."

"i was just thinking to myself.. and i guess i just needed time away." lucinda stood up and helped katelyn up to her feet. "i needed to know if this person was trustworthy. i don't want to repeat the same mistake.."

"i can wholeheartedly say that this person has my full trust." lucinda's hand brushed against katelyn's for a brief moment. "i'm honestly glad i fell for someone like them."

katelyn's heart started to race, and her mind starts to wander. "if lucinda doesnt have feelings for travis, who could she have feelings for? it can't possibly be aphmau, she wouldnt have been insecure about her trust for aphmau. could it have been laurance? i dont think so-- laurance makes it clear that he's only interested in aphmau! mother of irene, trying to figure this out is difficult." katelyn thinks to herself. 

"it cant possibly be me, right? i know im not that lucky. i mean.. it's possible but.." katelyn silently hopes, eliminating every possible option.

"so.. who do you have feelings for?" katelyn asks, scratching the back of her neck.

"mother of irene katelyn, you are way more oblivious than i thought!" lucinda laughs.

katelyn pauses and looks directly at lucinda. "l-lucinda i.."

"katelyn.." lucinda bites her lip. "i found a line of peace in the pattern of your violence."