chapter one

✧✧✧

February 17th, 1988

The dark clouds acted as a blanket on top of the sky. Lightning and thunder struck all night, resulting in the overflow of river banks, and flooding on the streets. The rain cascaded against the windows of the black palace, and the branches of the trees colliding against one another. There was a slow ticking coming from the grandfather's clock in the west hall of the castle. You could hear the queen's heels clicking aggressively against the slick, intricate marble floors from miles away. Her silk, rich velvet red dress was embroidered with golden gems at the trim of the skirt. Her golden like veil trickled down her hazel brown long hair, flowing behind her gracefully as she made her way across the castle.

Meanwhile on the opposite end of the castle, a young girl sat on her bed admiring a flower she had picked the day before in her garden. The 16 year old managed to live her entire life inside the palace with no way out. Her thoughts always told her to leave and live her life the way she wanted to, not the way her parents had decided. Saying that she disliked her parents was an understatement. She loathed them. No matter what she did, her parents were never proud of her and always discouraged her. They always commented on what a disappointment their daughter had become, and how ungrateful she was. The teenager always obeyed and rarely rebelled against her parents, but she was never good enough for them.

As the princess was silently admiring the beauty of the dandelion in her hand, her door flung open to reveal a furious queen. "ARABELLA ELEIN SILVERS. HOW MANY TIMES HAVE I TOLD YOU TO GET UP AND GET READY. WE HAVE A VERY IMPORTANT PRESS TODAY AND YOU ARE SITTING ON YOUR BED LIKE AN UNGRATEFUL BRAT IGNORING MY ORDERS. THROW THE FLOWER AWAY AND MAKE YOURSELF LOOK NICE FOR ONCE." Arabella looked up to her mother with tears threatening to spill out of her eyes. "But mother, don't you see? It's a fresh new flower, I mustn't throw it away." The older woman raised her hand and slammed it across her daughters cheek, leaving a red mark with the shape of her hand. "You idiotic girl. How many times must I tell you? I don't care. Now if you don't do as I say, there will be consequences." With that, the queen whipped her head around and strutted out of the room as if she ruled the world. And in some ways, she truly did. She had taken over Arabella's world because her daughter was the only person who had seen her vulnerable, alone, and most of all, afraid.

Arabella stood up from her golden bed and walked over to her window cill. She opened her window and extended her arm outwards with the flower. Arabella let it drop slowly, and watched it flow with the wind until it finally hit the hard ground. She wiped the tears out of her eyes and walked into her closet. She skimmed through all of her dresses until she found her favorite one. The teenager then walked over to her bathroom and began to change into the dress. Once she had finished, she walked back into her room and straightened down her outfit. The royal blue dress trickled down towards her feet, letting the sparkles glow in the sunlight. Arabella placed her hair in a low bun, allowing her bangs to come out naturally. She put on her favorite pair of silver glittery heels, and added some finishing touches. The princess looked at her reflection in the mirror and she sighed noticing the pulsating red mark on her cheek. She took some powder and patted it onto her bruised cheek, hoping it would conceal the mark. Once she finished she looked out her window and whispered, "One day, one day I will leave this hell hole and never come back. One day, I will live the life I've always wanted to live." Then, Arabella closed the window, locking it in the process. She took a big deep breathe in and  prepared her self for the eventful day ahead.

Arabella was walking towards the entrance of the castle where all the journalists and reporters would be. That day, the Silvers family had a great announcement that they were planning to release into the town's newspapers. The princess was yet to find out what the news was going to be, but she knew that when announcements were made publicly, they were never good. She stood beside her parents, who had fake smiles on their faces, and adjusted her dress. "Arabella. This is a big day for us. If you ruin it in any way, there will be huge problems. And you know what happens when you get in trouble." her father said with a stern voice. "Of course father." was all she said in return. The big doors at the entrance opened to reveal hundreds of news reporters surrounding the Silver's castle. Since the family has always been the center of attention, they were accustomed to the clicking and flashing lights that came out of the cameras.

"Welcome citizens of Sighișoara. Sixteen years ago, on September 15th, 1972, we announced the official birth of princess Arabella Elain Silvers. We've dedicated all of our time focusing on raising a fine young lady." Arabella has never been praised like this, especially from her parents. So hearing this made her heart leap out of pure happiness and joy, but the other part of her was suspicious of the attention she was receiving from them. "To honor her role as princess, the queen and I have decided that Arabella Elain Silvers, princess of Sighișoara, Romania, is to marry Prince Sorren Jackson of England. This will form an alliance between the two kingdoms, and we are very grateful for this opportunity that has been presented to us."

Hearing this come out of her father's mouth made her heart drop. The brunette tuned out the sounds coming from the reporters and she stood frozen. Her face drained of color, and her vision became clouded from the tears that started to form. Without hesitating, Arabella blinked the tears away, and to everyone's shock, she began to run. She ran as if her life depended on it because she had no other option. She didn't know where she was headed, but that wasn't her main concern. The teenager ran through the forest in front of the palace, her breath becoming heavier with every step she took. She didn't dare look back, in case it would slow her down and get herself captured once more. Her hair had come out of its bun, and it fell down her back. She had dirt all over her dress, and she knew she could never replace it. The rain poured and lightning struck all around her. She started asking herself, "How could they do this to me? My own mother tried to put me through the same pain she went through!" But none of this stopped her. She had one goal in mind, and that was to get away from the dungeon she had been placed in for years.

She didn't plan to escape that day, but one thing she knew was that she wasn't planning on returning either.

✧✧✧