eight

~

        Harry woke up in the more earlier hours of the morning. Really early. The sun was barely peaking over the horizon and the house was quiet except for the shuffling in the other room. Harry padded out the door and down the hall. He immediately saw Zayn lacing up his boots. He sniffled and Zayn snapped his head up. Zayn said surprised, "You're awake early." He merely glanced at the watch on his wrist.

        "Are you leaving?" Harry asked wrapping his arms around his cold torso.

        "Yes, Harry," Zayn said standing up, "like I do every day."

        Harry walked closer scrunching his eyebrows, "But, you're hurt."

        Zayn rolled his eyes, "A little scratch isn't going to stop me from going to..work."

        "It's not a little scratch," Harry demanded.

        "Drop it, Harry," Zayn gritted his teeth.

        Harry felt himself getting brave. he knew that Zayn was in his right mind right now and he could lash out by the simplest thing, but Harry didn't care. "Can't you stay just for-"

        "I said drop it!" Zayn boomed. Harry jumped back only a little surprised. He expected this. It still scared him shitless, but, really, didn't surprise him all that much.

        Harry swallowed hard looking down, "I'm sorry, sir, I just wanted you to stay here for just today."

        Zayn sighed taking Harry's face in his hands. Harry looked up at him. Zayn spoke, "I can't, doll."

        Harry removed Zayn's hands from his face, "Okay." he glumly walked back to his room.

        Zayn felt a tinge of guilt making his curse, "Damnit!" He grabbed his phone and wallet before storming out the door. He knew if he stayed in there for a minute more he would've went back to Harry's room and laid with him the thought of leaving far gone.

~

        Ms. Violet looked at Zayn concerned as he stormed past her and into the lift she just exited. She walked into the wide opened door of the flat and locked it behind her. Harry heard her come in. Harry knew it was Ms. Violet. The gentle shut of the door and the small pattering of footsteps couldn't possibly have been Zayn. Harry was sitting against the head board hugging a pillow when she walked in. "Harry, are you okay? Mr. Malik looked frustrated."

        Harry asked without looking up, "Why don't you tell?"

        She looked at the young boy confused, "What?"

        Harry looked up with an angry piercing gaze, "You know he took me. You know he's a bad person, so why don't you tell?"

        "Harry," she sighed, "you wouldn't understand."

        "Wouldn't understand what?" Harry yelled startling her. "That you're on his side! That you're a supported of drugs and kidnapping. You probably know every horrible thing he's done yet you still come here everyday and baby sit me and clean his house and make him dinner! Why?!"

        "You need to calm down-"

        "To hell with that! I want to know why! Right now."

        Ms, Violet spoke calmly, "I don't say anything because he saved me." All of Harry's anger disappeared and he looked at her bewildered. "He took me away from a bad time, he sheltered me, he cared me back to health, and he gave me a job. He's a good man with some issues. I'd never betray him. Not over something as simple as this. He took you away from a bad time, as well, Harry. You had a death in your family, your father was a drug addict. You could've died that day and your father wouldn't have been sober enough to even notice. Mr. Malik cares for you. He doesn't show it all the time, but he does. I know you feel as if this is something awful, but it's not. Look around. You have a nice bedroom, a beautiful home, food on the table for every meal. If you just asked I bet he'd get you anything you want. All you have to do is follow a few simple rules. How is that so bad, Harry?"

        "I-....." Harry stopped himself. She had a point. He was taken away from a pointless life. But, Zayn didn't make it out that way. Harry thought for a moment wondering if Zayn had asked him that day would he have gone willingly? More than likely, he would've. What seems to be the only reason that he didn't want to leave was because of fear and he didn't want to leave his father, He felt that one day his dad would be the man he used to be. He felt that Zayn was taking him away from the possibility of seeing that happen one day.

        "I think you need more rest," Ms. Violet smiled knowing that Harry was a naive teenager. He wouldn't have thought of these things the way he needs to. Harry nodded and she shut off the light.

~

        The first thing Harry did that day when Zayn got home was jump on him. He wrapped his legs around Zayn's waist and his arms around Zayn's neck hugging him tight. He murmured 'thank you thank you' over and over again into Zayn's shoulder.

        Zayn was shocked but hugged him back never the less. Harry refused to let go of Zayn so he ended up sitting on the couch with Harry still attached to him. Then Ms. Violet announced that dinner was almost finished. "Go wash up, now," Zayn whispered in Harry's ear before kissed his temple gently. Harry smiled eagerly and left to the restroom. Zayn got up and walked into th kitchen looking at Ms. Violet with knowing eyes. "What did you say to him?"

        She looked back at Zayn and smiled, "Nothing but a few words of truth, Mr. Malik."

        That night there was no yelling, no fear, no anger. Just subtleness. Harry put a fork full of food in his mouth thinking that maybe. Just maybe. He'll like it here.

~

#RIPLongHairSquad

Tori xx