I went off to university on a partial scholarship and worked off the rest of my student loans through my waitressing job. Whatever extra money I made, I deposited back to the family as did Hailey and Julie. We were all making minimum wage though, so this only kept the family afloat and didn't do anything towards paying off our debt. 

No matter how much in trouble we were financially, our mother and Cat did not stop with their excessive spending habits. None of us could say anything about this though, our mother would only throw dramatic fits about how she couldn't have nice things. And if we ever dared speak to Cat, our mother would be on our case because that's the only tie that she still has to Cat. If we stop providing for her financially, our mother was convinced we would never see her again. Our father kept himself out of the matter entirely, just grateful that he didn't have to deal with our mother's constant dramatics.

It's a shame that the one who deserved it most wasn't able to benefit from further education. This is where the assumptions start rolling in. I assume that that is why Hailey is sticking with a job that's so far beneath her mental capabilities, to make enough money to hopefully pay for her studies.

...

"Well Eliza, it sounds like you certainly put on a show of extraordinary proportions," Harper said taking a sip of her peppermint tea.

Her tone wasn't judgemental, but she had this older sister air about her. She has always been more grounded and in many aspects wiser, less emotional than myself. I envied her ability to take emotion out of the equation when making decisions. It often felt like she knew how to handle situations better than I was but kept her tongue unless I asked her directly what she would suggest I do. She was a firm believer in learning through your own screw-ups. 

The café was abuzz with people, freshly brewed coffee and soft indie music lingering in the air. This was one of my favourite coffee shops. The aesthetics were what drew me in (the beach wood furnishings, rustic lighting and bookshelves filled with books adorning the walls) but the coffee was what had me coming back each time.

"Yes, I know, it probably wasn't my finest moment. At this point, I have accepted my fate and will start looking for new job opportunities. Although, if the last one was any indication of how the rest are going to go down, I am certainly in no haste." I said matter of factly before taking a long sip of my coffee.

"My dear Eliza, you have always had an unfortunate knack of being pessimistic to a point that it nears cynicism. Oh, don't give me that look! You know I'm right. I've known you for far too long. I know when you've put your heart into something and fear losing it before you even had a chance of attaining it. But, you cannot fool me, I've had you figured out since elementary school."

"Pfft, no you haven't, I've only led you to believe so. I, my dear Harper, am unpredictable!" I flicked a packet of sugar at her, hitting her square in the forehead. 

I started giggling uncontrollably, with Harper joining shortly after.

She was right though, she always could see straight through me. But, she's been doing that since the day her family moved in next door to ours, long before elementary school.

... 

I was about four years old and my mother was very pregnant with Hailey. Pair this with Cat being extremely attached and clingy as you'd expect any two year old to be. Julie was already in elementary school and dad was still working at that point, so that just left Cat and me alone with our mother. 

One morning I decided I wanted to dress up like a beautiful princess, full Sunday dress, tiara, the works. But, you can't be a true princess without make-up to match. Coming down the stairs that morning, I remember my mother not being quite as impressed with my inventive nature as I had been. When I reached the bottom, she gave me the scolding of a lifetime, making it very clear that the make-up stains on my Sunday dress have ruined it and her favourite tube of lipstick forever.

At that point Cat (the sister who was already in my little black book for stealing all my mother's attention) started laughing at my failed attempt at dressing up. So I pushed her. 

She fell to the ground and started crying. Mother sent me outside to "think about what I'd done" while she continued to coo over her crying toddler.

That's how Harper found me, in our front yard, just sitting on the grass, staring at the cars passing in the street. She came over, not minding that up until that point we haven't spoken to each other, and plonked down next to me.

We just sat like that, looking at the cars together, until she finally said: "I think you make a really pretty princess."

...

We've been inseparable ever since. We've always been completely honest with each other, giving kind reassurance when needed and (more likely) harsh reality checks as well.

My phone started buzzing on the table and I tried to get my giggling under control before answering.

"Hello, this is Elizabeth Unpredictable Bennett speaking, how may I assist you?" I said in the best mock professional voice I could muster.

Harper's eyes were twinkling with amusement at my antics.

I was met with silence from the other line. I sobered up from my amused state and spoke again.

"Hello?"

"Miss Bennett," a deep voice travelled through the phone, "this is William Knight."

At that, my entire body went cold from my head all the way to my toes.

I am so screwed...