Part 38

Not much has changed since two nights ago. William and I were sitting on the couch, eating our choice of room service for dinner and watching Law and Order. We weren't talking, but that's not anything new. With William, a silence which I have grown quite accustomed to usually falls between us.

What was different tonight compared to all the others was that although we were silent, my thoughts were screaming. I couldn't help feeling that I was an absolute fool for allowing myself to get as familiar with William as I had. After everything that I learned about him over the past couple of weeks, I should've been more careful. I should've kept him at arms length. But what did I do? Ran straight into his arms, literally!

Apart from it being idiotic, it was also completely unprofessional. For the most part, I have made my feelings clear about my misstep but it should never have happened in the first place. I should never have put myself in a situation where William felt like he could come near me, never mind touch me and try to comfort me. 

What happened happened, I can't change that now. But I know I have to adjust my behavior now. I have to recreate some boundaries between us before... before I'm in too deep.

"Is everything alright?" William interrupted my train of thought.

"Yes, I'm just tired. I think I'm going to turn in early tonight." I said, already standing up from the couch.

The quicker I can get away from him and create some distance the better.

"You've hardly touched your food." 

I looked down at my plate of spaghetti and realized that I have indeed not eaten more than a few forkfuls. His plate was empty and sitting on a tray, ready for room service to come and pick it up.

How long was I lost in my own thoughts?

"I'm not all that hungry. I'll see you tomorrow." 

He didn't look convinced by my words. 

I picked up my plate and placed it on the tray next to William's before walking towards my room. I could feel the intensity of William's gaze on every movement that I was making.

It felt like every spot his eyes landed on my body was set aflame. The heat went rushing from my hands, to the side of my face and then finally rested on my lower back where a pool of warmth formed.

I hastily closed the door behind me and instantly felt the heat rushing away. 

This is not normal. My boss staring at me should not leave me this frazzled! I was not some ditsy secretary vying for his attention. No, it was the exact opposite. I did not want his attention, not in the least, not right now.

I quickly slipped under the covers and wished sleep would envelope me quickly.

...

The next morning William was nowhere to be seen. Granted, I did wake up earlier than usual but he wasn't anywhere in the suite and he wasn't in his room either. Not that I looked. But the door to his room was left wide open and it was hard not to note the completely vacant suite.

I made myself a cup of coffee and went to sit cross-legged on the couch. I had to get my head together before the day started. I remember what happened the last time William and I went to an event.

Wait...

How the hell was I supposed to keep close to William tonight without getting close to him. Judging from the last social event I accompanied him to, he has certain expectations as to my proximity to him. But would I be able to keep my wits about me in spite of the unusual reaction that my body was having to him being nearby?

Of course I would! I have a brain and my actions aren't dictated by my heart or any other body part fighting for control. No, I could control myself around William. I will be the poster girl for professionalism tonight. 

...

William had not made contact once throughout the day. Not one single time...

This was worse than sitting through those meetings unable to do my job. I couldn't help feeling the same way I had when he had gone MIA a few weeks ago. 

Restless...

But this time it was worse since I was in an unfamiliar place, alone, unable to perform my basic work duties and at the same time not having the freedom to do anything apart from work.

No, I was left sitting around the suite, unable to do much else than wait for William to return. And there was nothing I despised more than sitting idly by.

Midday there was a knock at the door. I knew right away that it wasn't William, he would've just come straight in without knocking.

Opening the door I was greeted by a man in a uniform matching the colours of the hotel attendants. A garment bag was draped over his one arm that was stretched out in front of him and he held what looked like a shoebox in the other.

"Good afternoon, I have a delivery for a miss Bennet?" He greeted me with a smile.

"That's me." I said uncertainly taking the items from him.

"Mr Knight said to give you this note as well." The man handed an envelope with gold trimmings over to me, the smile never leaving his face. 

"Oh, thank you." I said before he turned around to leave.

I pushed the door closed with my hip and carried everything over to the sofa, placing the shoebox on the ground and making sure to drape the garment bag as carefully as possible over the armrest. I wasn't sure what I would find inside, but I was sure it was going to be expensive and I didn't want to do anything that would damage it. 

I flipped open the envelope and scanned through the letter that was undoubtedly Mr. Knight's handwriting. I knew only person who had such precise and deliberate lettering. 

Elizabeth
I had some personal business to take care of today.
I picked out this dress for tonight's event. 
Be ready at 6.
William

Of course he would pick out a dress for me without me being present. Even though he was busy today, he would never give up control over anything, even something as small as deciding what I'd be wearing when attending an event with him. 

I went back over to the garment bag and zipped it open to be greeted by a beautiful champagne coloured dress.

William had a different idea for what was deemed acceptable to wear for tonight's event...