Part 26

Mr Clarke had finished his speech, there was clapping, some more mingling and eating of appetizers, and then Mr Knight indicated that we were to depart. Before that, he hadn't acknowledged my presence at all. The atmosphere between us was frigid. 

We made all the necessary greetings before heading for the entrance. I saw George only in passing as I tried to keep up with Mr Knight, which was unfair since he didn't have to run in heels. I didn't dare to stop and greet George properly, even though I wanted to. I could only imagine Mr Knight's reaction if I'd try and pull something like that after what happened earlier. 

I found the whole situation all the more ridiculous the more chance I had to think about it. There were two parts to every story, this I knew. But as I was now standing next to Mr Knight, waiting for the valet to bring around his fancy sports car, I couldn't help but side with what George had told me earlier.

Nothing of Mr Knight's behaviour this evening spoke in his favour, if anything it proved how everything isn't quite what they seemed. I always thought Mr Knight to just be overly perfectionistic and way too dedicated to his company. This would explain all of his irritating quirks and his demanding behaviour towards me.

Tonight I saw something else though... I saw the controlling and arrogant side of him. I mean, who did he think he was? Did he honestly think that he could dictate who I could talk to and dance with just because I was in his employment? He had some nerve! He didn't own me, the salary I received by the end of each week was not the down payment for me as a person. 

The longer we stood in silence next to each other, the more frustrated I became. He hadn't made any attempt at conversation or even to look at me for that matter. Which, now that I think about it, might have been for the best, since I would've obliterated him on the spot. Now, I haven't been to many (or any other than the present one) of these events, but I guessed getting into a huge public spat with your employer was frowned upon.

The car rolled up near the entrance and Mr Knight reached forward to open the door for me. There were still journalists around (luckily significantly less than before) hoping to get one last shot of someone important leaving the venue. 

I could feel Mr Knight coming closer towards me in an attempt to guide me through the crowd as he had done before. I stepped away from his hand and didn't miss the momentary look of confusion that flashed over his features. I did not care. I didn't want him anywhere near me right now. 

I quickened my pace towards the car, ignoring the questions that were once again being thrown from every direction and kept my eyes ahead. It was all I could do to keep the panic from my earlier encounter with the large crowds to rise once more. I jumped into the passenger side that was being held open by the valet and could feel relief wash over me as he closed the door behind me. 

This relief was short-lived as Mr Knight entered on his side not long after me. He shut his door with a loud thud and pushed his car keys into the ignition with more force than I thought necessary. He sped off in the general direction of my house.

His eyes were fixed on the road ahead and his hands kept gripping and releasing the steering wheel. His knuckles went from red to white to red again. 

A deadly silence hung in the car. One I simultaneously wished and dreaded would come to an end. 

"That stunt you pulled back there was completely unacceptable. I expect you to show a little more self-control in the future if you wish to remain in my employ." Mr Knight bit out.

I was wrong, I didn't want to hear what he was thinking.

I just stared back at him. When my mind caught up with my mouth, there was no stopping what came out.

"My stunt? My lack of self-control? I'm struggling to understand what it is you are referring to. Are you perhaps confused and thinking of your moody behaviour all night? Or are you thinking of your lack of self-control when you were unable to contain yourself in that hallway!" I threw right back at him. 

He seemed slightly taken aback by my retort but recovered just as quickly.

The car came to a sudden halt, lurching my body forward. The sidewalk was the only illumination still available, all the lights of the house had been turned off.

Mr Knight was now facing me completely, his lips in a straight line and face set in disapproval.

"I don't know what you think did or did not happen tonight, but it doesn't matter. The fact remains that I expect loyalty from my employees and when I hired you I also expected you to be a professional who could follow orders, not some airhead who drifted off to socialize at every chance she got."

I forcefully opened the car door and swung around to face Mr Knight as soon as my feet touched the pavement. 

"I am a hard worker and you know it. You're just mad that I didn't ignore George because of some secret feud that the two of you have, which has nothing to do with me!" I said in exasperation, Mr Knight's eye twitched at the mention of George's name. "I now have nothing left to say. Goodnight, sir." I seethed, slamming the door in his face. 

I walked towards the front door, hands trembling by my side from anger. Mr Knight hadn't moved from the driveway and I didn't spare him another glance.