"Geneva Convention? What are you talking about?"

The question stopped Harry before he could continue in his rant. "Oh...um...". He searched his memory. Where had he heard the term before? On deeper consideration, it was likely from overhearing it on a muggle TV news program at the Dursley's. It had something to do with treating enemies correctly, didn't it?

Harry shook his head in frustration, and felt grateful at least it didn't ache as badly today. "Aren't there some wizarding laws about how to treat prisoners?"

Draco scoffed. "Did you pass your OWL for the History of Magic? Wizards and witches have been doing vile things to each other forever."

That did ring a bell. "But surely I should be allowed outside for fresh air? Exercise?"

"Next you will be asking for a quidditch broom and Celestina Warbeck's latest record. You are an enemy of the Dark Lord! Of my family!"

"Well, if I'm too much of a bother, you could just let me go," Harry said, letting out a chuckle in spite of himself. Draco looked funny when he was angry.

"Yeah right. Dream on, Potter," Draco said over his shoulder as he left.

....

"Are you feeling better?"

Harry sat on the edge of the bed when he heard Draco return later with his supper. "Why? Are you giving me more potion?"

He didn't think he would need it. He had gone longer between doses today. But he didn't want to need it during the night and not have it.

"Yes, just one more bottle. But I was wondering if you feel well enough to walk a little without falling over?"

Harry sat up straighter at the question. "Um, yes. I think I can manage." He wanted to sound strong enough to do this, but not seem like a threat.

"I thought over your... request," Draco said with a wry tone. "I think it's only fair to let you outside for a brief period each day. We need to keep you healthy, after all."

Harry was immediately on his feet. This was more than he had hoped for.

"Put your hands through the bars," Draco ordered, his wand out.

Obeying the order was a bit irritating, but Harry kept his face neutral as he did it.

With a quick wave and a mumbled spell, a rope wrapped snugly around his wrists, binding them. Only then did Draco unlock the door with another spell.

Wand still drawn, Draco waved Harry out of the cell. Harry walked slowly. Here was a chance to look around, get his bearings, look for weaknesses. Get Draco comfortable with doing this, and Harry might find a way to get away.

There were a few other cells, similar to Harry's, and windows covered with iron bars in the passageway. The stairs were made of stone, and led to a thick, oak door with metal braces. It took another spell to open it.

Walking through the doorway, Harry felt overwhelmed with how bright it was, and almost stumbled. Draco caught his arm, steadying him, and guided him forward. Maybe he took it as a sign that Harry was weak. It was more that Harry had been in the darkness a few days, and his eyes took longer than normal to adjust to the light.

He barely had a time to look around before Draco was taking him outside. It was even brighter, a bit cold. The sky was overcast with high pale clouds. The grounds were well kept, with a rolling grass lawn and tall, trimmed hedges. A few trees here and there, but no flowers. A bit stark.

Draco tugged him to a bench, and Harry didn't resist sitting down. Even walking this far had weakened him. But it still felt good to breathe the clean, crisp air, and to feel the weak sunlight on his face. He closed his eyes, tilting his face up to savour it. He took slow deep breaths, feeling some of the tension inside him unwinding.

"This really means something to you," Draco said softly, seated on the other end of the bench.

Harry opened his eyes and glanced at Draco. "Um, yeah. I think it from being on the run so much this year. Most of the time, we have been outdoors. Out of sight."

Draco's eyebrows rose slightly. "So, you are kind of claustrophobic now? Is that why you were so insistent I let you come outside?"

"Well, that dungeon cell is surprisingly clean, but I think anyone would want to get out of it after a day or two," Harry replied with a bit of a humourless chuckle.

Shrugging a shoulder, Draco turned his face to look out to the high hedges that surrounded the grounds. "Like it or not, we are both stuck here for the time being."

The words struck Harry, and he gazed at Draco's profile, his thoughts whirling. "Where are we? Why am I here? Can't you leave?"

"It's an old family castle. Malfoys lived here before we built the Manor. It dates back to some of the fiercest wizarding wars and has incredible defences," Draco drawled, with a proud tilt to his chin that he always got when talking about his pure blood family. "No one can come snatch you from here, not even house elves. Only Malfoys can get through the wards, or those they permit."

Fuck. Harry's hopes of a rescue went even lower.

"What happened at the Manor? It was such a blur," Harry said, lifting a hand to rub over the tender spot on the back of his head. He wouldn't be surprised if he had a little memory loss from the concussion.

Draco scoffed. "As that traitorous house elf made his little speech to Bellatrix, we snuck around behind you. I tackled you right as the rest apparated," he said with pride. "My father grabbed both of us and moved us here."

"So Dobby couldn't come back for me," Harry said softly.

"Once we determined you were just knocked out, we put you in the dungeon to rest. He left me here to guard you."

It made sense. Lucius had the upper hand now. Harry Potter in a very secure place, ready to bring to Voldemort at the best possible time. He would use this to his advantage.

"So your father could appear at anytime to take me to your Dark Lord? To be killed? Like a lamb to the slaughter?"

Draco's face paled and he looked away. As much as he talked the big game, he did not take death lightly. Harry had witnessed how he had delayed killing the wandless Dumbledor, and finally Snape was the one to do it.

"Draco, I know you have mixed feelings about this. It's why you didn't identify me to your family when I had the stinging jinx, right? You knew it would mean my death," Harry implored. "We have been rivals at school, maybe even enemies to a point, but not that far. You don't want me dead."

"Shut up," Draco said firmly.

"Let me go. Give me a fighting chance. Already it is one of the most powerful wizards in the world against me, a drop-out who jus barely seventeen," Harry continued. "Please, Draco."

"Shut up!" Draco shouted, and jumped to his feet, wand pointing steadily at Harry. "Back to your cell, now!"

Harry got up, turning back to the castle with shoulders slumped. It was large and boxy, made of dark block of heavy stone, built as a fortress. Impenetrable.

...

-A/N: Thanks for reading!