Chapter 5

Harry felt bored and restless by the time Draco finally unlocked his cell door, and guided him upstairs with his hands bound. How many days had he been here? It was getting hard to remember....

Draco seemed to being feeling it too, and when they went outside, he quickly got rid of Harry's bonds and stepped back into the castle for a brief minute. He returned with a basket that he set down on a sunny patch of grass.

"It's too nice a day to stay inside," Draco said quickly, not quite meeting Harry's eyes. He took out a blanket and started spreading it out, and Harry got over his shock to help him.

The basket seemed to contain far too much food. Draco pulled out all sorts of tasty items, and handed Harry a plate. He seemed amused when Harry piled it high.

It reminded Harry of the bounty of foods at Hogwarts feasts, and he felt a pang of longing for those younger, simpler days. When the only thing he had to worry about Draco was if he'd beat him to the snitch in the next quidditch game.

He watched as Draco dug heartily into his own plate of food. It was nice to eat with someone, and he wondered if Draco felt it too. He'd been stuck in this castle just as long.

So many normal things disrupted this year. Draco hadn't returned for his seventh year at Hogwarts either, after his involvement in Dumbledor's death. Harry had heard rumours that Voldemort had been staying at the manor quite a bit, but he obviously hadn't been there when Harry had been brought there. How much had Draco been around him? Eaten meals with him and other Deatheaters? Harry shuddered at the thought.

"There's treacle tart," Draco said, breaking through Harry's musings.

Harry was surprised. His favourite. Did Draco know and bring it on this picnic on purpose.

Draco scoffed, passing the dish to Harry. "We went to the same school for six years, Potter. You think I could avoid noticing the way you stuffed your face every time it was served?"

Even though he was pretty full, Harry couldn't resist taking a generous helping. He sighed with the first bite. "This brings back memories of those days."

Nodding, Draco finished up his portion. "Hopefully not all bad?"

"It had its moments," Harry agreed, and laid down on the blanket. "Oh, I'm so full. Is this part of your evil plan, making me almost sick on good food that I'm too lethargic to move?"

Chuckling, Draco put the leftovers and dirty dishes back in the basket, and stretched out beside Harry. "Exactly. It's exhausting having to guard you all the time. I'll take any advantage I can get."

Harry scoffed at that. "You have a wand, I don't. Hardly a fair battle."

"Actually, it's in the castle. That way I don't have to worry about you grabbing it off me like you did at the manor."

So that is what Draco was doing besides picking up the basket. About half his plans went up in smoke. "That makes it a lot more fair, actually. I can probably win if we fought."

Draco opened a light blue eye lazily, peering at Harry. "Yeah, but what then? You can't leave without a wand. Only I can get past the house wards to open the door."

Anger and frustration bloomed inside Harry. Obviously Draco had been making his own plans, and predicted what Harry may try.

Next time he glanced over, Draco was napping. Obviously thinking Harry was no treat at all.

Harry sighed and stared up at the clouds. Anger burned hot for a few minutes, then faded. The warm sun and full belly were very soporific, and he drifted off as well.