~ 20 ~

20:42

October 31st, Saturday

。ₓ ू ₒ ु  Police Hat  ू ₒ ु ₓ

"K- Kit?" I say frantically, crouching down to where she's sitting.

"I think something was in the juice," she tells me quietly, staring at the cup. "I feel dizzy."

"How much did you have?" I ask her.

"A couple cups," she responds, after a long moment of thinking. "I was thirsty."

I sharply inhale and rub y face with my sweaty palms, feeling my breathing quicken, stomach lurch, my heart beating out of my chest.

"We should get you home, Kit," I say shakily, standing up and gently grabbing her arm. She stands up slowly, as I help pull her up.

"God, my head," she groans. "I should not have drank that much. Why did I drink so much of it? It was spiked wasn't it."

"Yeah," I tell her after breathing in sharply.

I reach the front door, and open it as we make our way away from the house.

After a couple minutes, as we round a corner, and the noise of the party is only a murmur in the distance, we stop.

"This sucks," she tells me simply, holding her head in place. "Ouch."

"Can you walk?" I ask her.

"I need to even if I can't. My head hurts," she tells me, staring at the sidewalk. She crouches down, picking up a plastic gem, probably something that fell off of a kid's Halloween costume.

"It's shiny," she whispers happily, wiping the dirt off of it.

She was like Kit, except two times more impulsive and ten times more distracted.

"I can piggyback you?" I ask her, as she gets up, stumbling a little, gem in her closed fist.

"Ooh! Yeah!" she responds excitedly.

I crouch down as she climbs on my back. I slowly get back up and we start moving again.

"Aren't I heavy?" she asks from behind my head.

"You're like the same weight as my younger cousin. It's fine," I tell her.

To be honest, I was having a bit of trouble, but that was probably because I wasn't exactly the most ripped hunk. 

I was strong enough to a point where I felt pretty confident I could carry her all the way home, but I knew it would be pretty difficult.

"Sorry Kit," I say, the occasional trick or treater passing by and giving us a funny look.

"Why?" she asks me.

"I don't know. For letting this happen," I tell her. 

"You don't need to. It's not your fault," she tells me, rubbing the plastic gem she had picked up.

We walk -- or I guess, more like I walk -- in silence only interrupted by Kit's occasional humming as we slowly make our way to her house.

During this silence I keep thinking of what I'm going to do when we make it there. 

I knew I was going to have to explain it to her parents. That was my responsibility. I wasn't gonna leave her at the doorstep and ding dong ditch her parents.

These people trusted me and I definitely broke that trust today. 

This is going to suck.