[DIS] Sylvia Tilly - Experiments

Sick bay was not quite where you envisioned you would be on a fine evening like the present one. Though that was not to say it wasn't entirely your own fault you had ended up in such a place.

"Experiments go wrong all the time, this one can't be that bad, perhaps a small spark, maybe a few flames; you're disregarding the fact that this could well be a success, Commander."

Your over confidence in your abilities did not impress Saru, and he simply clicked his tongue at you and shot a disapproving look, or perhaps it was disappointment, either way it was far from good. You patted his shoulder and laughed, knowing that he didn't truly mean it. You had always gotten along with the Kelpien, and you knew despite his demeanour, his words carried no weights and he meant well. Saru simply sighed, leaving you in engineering with your issue-waiting-to-happen with some sarcastic last words.

"Well, good luck."

"What are we needing luck for?" Came a spry voice, the voice of Cadet Tilly, someone you were always glad to see. She had a charm and an infectious happiness, and you turned to grin at her with a wink.

"This bad boy." You pointed to the mess of wires and metal in front of you, and she widened her eyes.

"And that is what, exactly?"

"Oh, you'll see."

Those were the last words you remembered saying before you awoke in the medical bay, Dr Culber standing over you with a PADD in hand. He raised one eyebrow at you as you adjusted your eyes to the bright lights in the room, and you heard him chuckle to himself.

"It's always you, isn't it, Y/N?" Not uncaring, rather amused was his voice, and you sat up and stuck your tongue out at him.

"Oh shut up, Hugh. If it weren't for me you wouldn't have a job in here, I'm doing you a favour by consistently giving you something to do."

He laughed, hitting your leg lightly with the PADD.

"That you are."

You turned your head to see who was occupying the space next to you, and you gasped aloud when you saw Tilly there, awake but lay down, slight scratches and bruises adorning her arms and face. Instantly you were up, alert and feeling very guilty.

"Tilly," your voice was concerned but quiet, wanting not to disturb her or startle her. "I'm so sorry, are you in here because of that stupid experiment?"

"Yeah, but it was worth it, you should've seen Paul's face!" Her voice echoed, sounding almost humoured by the experience. You joined in.

"And you should have heard him rant afterwards, you wouldn't be laughing then, kids." Dr Culber's voice quipped in, and you shot Tilly a glance to find she was doing the same to you. The three of you shared a laugh, before Hugh left to continue with his work, leaving you alone in the room with Tilly.

"I really am sorry, you shouldn't be here just because of my stupidity."

"No, stop," she started, reaching out over the side table in request of your hand, which you gave her with no hesitation. "Anyway, it gives me a better chance to get to know you, right?"

You smiled at her, overwhelming optimism of Sylvia Tilly seemed to overcome any bad situation you were presented with.

The two of you sat upright now, facing one another in your respective beds, and began firing questions at the other. By the end of the hour, you managed to ascertain her favourite colour, her first pet, her favourite food and were told several anecdotes about her time at both the academy and her childhood growing up. She had learned all about you, your experiences growing up, and your favourite films to watch from the 'olden' days.

"Well, you're very free to go now, kids, please no more making bombs, Y/N, if I could be so kind as to ask that of you." He smiled, you and Tilly shooting him one back.

"I can't promise, but I can try."

Readying to leave sick bay, you were stopped by a hand on your arm and a shy red headed woman stood before you. She wasn't looking at you, rather down at the floor, almost nervously.

"Uh, I was wondering, you know, if maybe uh, you would want to get to know each other a little more, I would hate for this to be it, and uh, I- I really enjoyed our conversation and- and I'm rambling now so I'll shut up-"

You cut her words off with a finger against her lips and a wide smile.

"Tilly, your brain must work at a thousand miles an hour, it's a marvel. Yes, I absolutely would love that. I enjoyed it too, and I would love to get to know you further, if you'll allow such a thing." The sincerity in your voice threw her off, and she stuttered out her next words.

"Oh, I- I yeah, absolutely, I'd never say to to that, maybe later then? For dinner? Or if that's not alright we could do it another time, I really don't-"

Again she was cut off, this time with your hand under her chin and a small kiss against her forehead.

"Absolutely. I'll see you later on."

Leaving Tilly stood grinning like an idiot, you left, not letting on that you were doing the same. Nobody could have predicted that an experiment gone wrong could have brought two people together quite like that. It most certainly was not a normal occurrence, but then who ever wanted normality?

A/N: Thanks for reading! :) x