𝟑𝟓. 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐒 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐀𝐋𝐋 𝐀 𝐁𝐈𝐆 𝐌𝐈𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐊𝐄

Começar do início

"Relax," John B said as he pushed JJ away from the group and towards the van.

"He had it right here on you, bro," JJ continued, pointed at John B's head.

He swatted his hand away. "Look," He started, "We've gotta go get the gold, okay? Just give me that shit. We're putting it back," As he reached for the bag, JJ shoved him into the van, hand around his throat.

Everyone gasped softly, not expected JJ to do something so rash with his best friend. "Do you feel like a tough guy? Huh? What are you gonna do when he comes for us?"

"We punch him in the throat,"

I nodded softly, while Kie looked at JJ like he was crazy. The idea was stupid. Nobody was going to punch anybody in the throat. "Yeah, good fuckin' idea, JJ," John B growled.

"I'm not putting it back," JJ snatched the bag and climbed in the van while we all stared at him. "You guys getting in or what?" He asked as we continued to stare at him.

Sighing, he moved out of the car and placed his hands on his hips. "What?" He asked as if nothing was wrong.

"We're sick of your shit," John B said. He was right, but that was a little harsh. "Your pulling guns on people shit,"

"You acting like a maniac--" Pope began but was quickly cut off.

"Okay, Pope, I took the fall for you, man! Know how much I owe because of you?" JJ shot back quickly.

"I'm gonna pay you back, and I didn't ask you to do that!" Pope fired and I ran a hand through my hair. Our group cannot fall apart because of this gold, it just can't.

"I just did! Pay it back. Right here, right now, by myself." JJ glared, "You know what? That's exactly what I'm going to do; go off by myself," He grabbed the money from the van and began walking down the dirt road by himself.

"JJ," Pope called, but the group stopped him.

"Just let him go," Sarah said softly and I couldn't look away from JJ. Watching his retreating back walk farther and farther away from our group.

The afternoon was an overcast breeze filled with shaded clouds, something that was normally uncommon in the Outer Banks. I gave a small wave to Thomas before heading towards the concession stand where Maggie was currently working. Off to the side, I could see Rafe, Kelce and Topper talking to each other, but I decided I would talk to him after.

"You look like you ran through the woods," Maggie commented as I approached her and I rolled my eyes sarcastically. "Are you okay?"

I nodded, "I'm fine, and it's a long story," She stared at my lip for an extra second, then let go of it and started restocking a few napkin dispensers. "Look, I need you to take a shift for me on Thursday, if that's okay,"

She moved towards the calendar that we had hanging on the wall, "That's in two days," She stated and I gave her a small hopeful smile.

"I had another commitment and I totally spaced," I briefly explained and she nodded.

"You owe me y/n," She grinned and I let out a relieved breath. Before I could strike up a quick conversation and ask her how things were, a familiar voice started yelling in the distance.

"Rafe Cameron!" Barry yelled as he approached the gate and Thomas who wasn't sure what to do. I whirled around quickly enough to see Rafe, Topper and Kelce walking towards him.

"What the hell is going on?" Maggie muttered as I watched Barry start talking to Thomas.

Rafe immediately pulled up away from Thomas and I looked towards Maggie. "I'll be right back," I muttered as I moved towards the group.

I jogged towards the four boys and was quickly noticed by Topper. "What the hell is going on?" I asked quietly.

"I'm not sure--"

"Why's your family think I'm just some bitch they can shit on?" Barry asked, still unaware of my presence which I was grateful for. "First your dad kneecaps me in my house--"

"You got your money," Rafe tried but Barry wasn't buying it.

"That ain't the point, man, I'm asking you, what am I?" The two stared at each other for a second before Barry continued. "Am I just some little bitch? Is that what your family looks at me like?"

"No. No," Rafe tried again.

"No! No!" Barry mocked. "Okay, so then why is your little sister and her little surf rat friends running around stealing 25K out of my house?" Barry asked and that's when I caught his eye. "Can you tell me that?" He asked me.

Barry started to move towards me but Rafe held him back and tried to get the details set straight. "My little sister robbed you?"

"Yeah, Sarah robbed me. That's why I'm here," Barry continued, sending a sharp glare in my direction.

"She won't pick a dollar up off the street." Rafe pointed out and Barry chuckled unamusingly. Eagerly wanting to leave, I tried to back away, but Topper placed a hand on my shoulder and kept me where I was standing.

"You think I don't understand what's goin' on here? 'Cause I'm telling you right now, you better sort this out with your sister, or else I am,"

Rafe began stammering and hyperventilating, still not believing what Sarah did. "Listen, I don't know what you're talking about,"

"The Pogues are all around Outer Banks stealin' shit out of everybody's house..." Barry explained and Rafe looked towards me, "...and you got no idea?"

"Your sister's involved with it, and your little girlfriend," My eyes widened as Barry stared at me.

Rafe, still skeptical, placed his hand on Barry's shoulder. "You know how stupid--" In one quick motion, Barry had grabbed Rafe's bad arm and shoved him to the side. Instantly, I rushed to his side as he cradled his unbandaged burn.

"Are you okay?" I asked quietly as I looked between him and his wrist. He nodded and stood up to pull Topper away as the two yelled at each other.

"Sort this shit out with your sister," Barry snapped and Rafe agreed as he pushed his hair back.

"If it's not from you, it's from her. Remember that. I'll see you, boys, around," He took a few steps forwards and turned around, staring at me dead in the eyes. "You and your friends are dead," He growled and I glared at him angrily.

"Y/n," I turned around to see Rafe, "What's happened,"

"It's all a big mess," I breathed, "Just don't do anything rash,"

"Come on," He said to Topper as both boys walked past me and towards their motorcycles.

"Rafe, wait! Is there something I can do?" I asked him before he could leave. In all honesty, I was scared out of my mind.

"You've done enough," He growled. I watched quietly as they slipped on their helmets and drove off.

"Shit!" I groaned loudly and angrily. I was mad about what had just gone down, I was mad that I couldn't explain what happened to Rafe, I was mad at JJ for running off and I was mad that I had gotten myself into this mess in the first place.

So... new update, hope you enjoy it. I'm stuck going to school soon, which I am not going to enjoy. Hope you guys are staying safe and healthy!

Syd <3