𝟏𝟖. 𝐉𝐔𝐒𝐓 𝐎𝐍𝐄 𝐃𝐀𝐘 𝐎𝐅𝐅

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐍𝐄𝐗𝐓 𝐃𝐀𝐘 had gone smoothly. I had woken up, gone grocery shopping for my mom, and me, I even made her lunch and dropped it off at her work before her break. I sat at the kitchen table, scribbling notes into my notebook. Mainly just small things to remember before I leave for college, like making sure my mom has enough food and that I'm able to do a load of laundry.

It was almost five o'clock and the sun was streaming through my window. I walked out of the kitchen with a cup of water in my hand, taking a long and much-needed sip. As I reached my seat, a loud bang erupted at my door. Worried that it was the men from John B's, I stayed where I was, but when I heard Kie's voice, I instantly relaxed.

I opened the door and offered for her to come in. She walked inside but stayed close to the door. "What's up?" I asked and she sighed.

"You forgot, didn't you, y/n?" She assumed and before I could open my mouth to ask what I had forgotten about, she answered. "Movie... in the park. Remember?" My eyes widened as I realized that I had completely blanked on the event.

Basically, every year there are these movies in the park. Kie says that it's a fun tradition, but every year they play the most boring and unexciting, black and white movies. Everyone calls it the summer movie series, but I call it hell.

"Shit, I'm so sorry," I muttered sincerely and she shrugged.

"I'm here now, and the boys are in the car, so let's go," She told me with a bright smile and I knew I couldn't get out of it. So, I grabbed a twenty-dollar bill, shoved it into my pocket, and followed her to the car. I hopped into the front seat after I kicked JJ out, using the 'I'm older' line, which worked like a charm.

After a short drive, the four of us piled out of the car, folded chairs in hand. We walked through the grass and towards the large movie screen already set up. A few kids ran past me, giggling loudly. "I'm so glad that they're still doing this. Keep calm, carry on. Back to OBX life," Kie smiled as we set up our chairs, "You know? Are you glad I made you come?"

"Ecstatic," Pope mumbled.

"My couch was pretty comfy, I'll be honest," JJ replied.

"I had a lot of college prep that needs to be done," I answered and Kie rolled her eyes at all of our remarks.

"Stop whining, and come get drinks with me," Kie told me and I walked with her towards the concession stand.

"Have you heard from JB? It's like he completely disappeared off of the face of the earth," I exaggerated as I fished the bill out of my pocket.

"Not really, well, not after we finished with the drone," I nodded as we stopped next to the stand, "Hey, can I get two Pepsi's, please?" Kie told the man.

"And two Sprite's, please," I added and the man grabbed the drinks from the cooler.

"Hey, Kie, y/n," I turned around to see Rafe walking towards us in a yellow shirt and a backward hat. That was definitely a good look on him. "Hey what's up, how are you," He said as he flashed me a smile, but I looked away. This was the same guy who beat my friend with a golf club.

"I'm fine," Kie muttered, and I kept my mouth shut as I handed the man my money.

"Good, good. Um... tell your boy that we know what he did," At this, I turned to face Rafe, confused on what he meant.

"What boy are you talking about?" I asked him, my face softening for a split second.

"He'll know," Rafe replied as Kie walked away, but I stayed where I was. "What's up," He said, focusing on me. Instead of replying, I grabbed his arm and pulled him away from both my group and his group's view.

"I cannot believe you," I seethed, as I let go of his arm.

"What do you mean?" He asked confused but the same small grin on his face. I wanted to melt by the way he looked at me and I started to believe he it knew too.

"You know what I mean," I shot at him, fazing back into my cold glare, "You beat Pope with a golf club," I exclaimed, "and I swear that if you start anything tonight," I scolded him.

"I only did that because your Pogue held a gun to Topper's head and sunk his boat," Rafe snapped back and I rolled my eyes.

"There wouldn't have been a gun, if Topper didn't try to drown John B," I snapped back. "What you did to him, to Pope, that's called assault and you could go to jail. But since you're a Kook, that doesn't matter, does it," I lectured angrily.

"I--" He started but I cut him off.

"Look, I thought there was something different about you, but right now, you're acting like every other Kook jackass. If I wanted that, I would've stayed with the dick from the party," I looked at him up and down before crossing my arms over my chest.

"Hey, wait, y/n..." Rafe said gently, quickly realizing that I was pissed off. He tried to reach for my arm but I moved away.

"Just save it," I muttered before I walked away.

Rafe watched as y/n walked away from him and he knew he fucked up. All he tried to do was defend his friend, but realizing now, he knew he made a mistake back at the country club. He rubbed his face, frustrated, before making his way back to the group.

I took a seat next to Kie, handing the pop to JJ, harshly. She instantly knew something was up and took less than a second to ask me about it. "What was that about?"

"It doesn't matter," I said as I opened the pop can and took a long sip. The fizzy drink popped inside my mouth before I swallowed it.

"I've got this, so we just got to say in the group," JJ told Pope as he lifted his bag and I realized he was talking about the gun.

"You didn't, JJ," I said as I stared at him, "You seriously didn't bring the gun here," I exclaimed quietly and Kie scoffed.

"There are kids!" She scolded and he quickly defended himself.

"No, Kie, I didn't bring the gun. Everything's fine, okay?" JJ reassured but Kie didn't buy it and neither did I.

"Wow, thank you. That's really convincing, I love that, JJ," Kie seethed as the first movie began, telling all of us that we needed to be quiet. "Founding principle, you guys," Kie continued despite the movie, "No secrets amongst Pogues, what is Rafe talking about?"

"Y/n, Kie, it might go down tonight," Pope said before leaning back in his seat and taking a sip of his drink.

"'Might go down tonight.' What did y'all do?" I asked as I looked between the two boys, neither of them answering me.

Great, just great.