Chapter 11: It's like a Date

**Dedicated to elibellychinu for commenting and reminding me to post. If it wasn't for her, I would've probably forgotten to post.**

I'm back!! Once again, I am extremely sorry that I have been MIA. Its because of loads of homework, a dash of sleep deprive-ness, and a truckload of drama. Lately I have lost track of time/date/day so...Sorry.

Anyways, I'm sorry and...

Enjoy!!

****************************************************

“Mystery is at the heart of creativity. That, and surprise.” ---Julia Cameron

“So,” Hermione began as they entered Florean Fortescue Jr.'s Ice Cream Parlour and ordered their ice creams. “How was your first day of work?”

“It was better than I expected,” Harper replied thoughtfully, taking a seat at one of the tables. “Though that’s mostly due to my lovely co-workers.”

Hermione blushed at the compliment, but was saved from replying by the arrival of their ice-creams.

Taking a bite of his chocolate ice cream, Harper began, “I’m sorry for dragging you all the way to Diagon Alley just for ice-cream. I just had some errands to run in Knockturn alley and I thought I’d kill two birds with one stone.”

“That’s fine,” Hermione replied, taking a bite of her honey lavender ice cream topped with chopped nuts. “I was meaning to come to Diagon Alley anyways. I have to pick up some tonic for Crookshanks at the Magical Menagerie, he hasn’t been feeling very well lately. So what brings you to Knockturn Alley? It’s quite a dodgy place.”

“Oh, you know. Just some errands,” Harper replied a bit elusively. “For the Ministry. Most likely to add to the monstrous pile of paperwork that you have to do.”

Hermione wasn’t sure if it was just her imagination, but for a second there she felt as if Harper was a bit nervous about something. Deciding to ignore it, she replied, “Yes, the paper work is piling up to rather precarious heights these days.”

“So who’s Crookshanks?” Harper asked changing the topic. “Is he your owl?”

“No,” Hermione replied. “Crookshanks is my cat.”

“Ah, so you’re a cat person?” Harper asked, a mischievous glint lighting his sapphire blue eyes.

“Yes. I suppose so. Wh--,” Hermione stopped, her eyes widening in realization before they narrowed accusingly. “You’re going to start on the cat lady jokes now, aren’t you? Everyone keeps doing that! I mean Merlin’s beard! I only own one cat, not fifty!”

“Okay, okay. I’ll spare you the cat lady jokes,” Harper replied laughing. “But I must ask, did you own Crookshanks while we were at Hogwarts?”

“Yes. I got him during our third year. Why?”

“So he is the one who kept on eating our shoes!!” Harper exclaimed triumphantly, pretending to be serious. “I knew it was a Gryffindor cat!”

“He did no such thing!” Hermione exclaimed, pretending to be offended. “While he does have a little thing for socks, Crookshanks most certainly does not eat shoes!”

“So I suppose you want me to believe that the right pair ate the left pair?”

“No, you simply misplaced the shoe.”

“How can an entire house, that is not Hufflepuff, misplace all of their left shoes?”

“It’s possible. And don’t hate on the Hufflepuffs.”

“Yeah, sure,” Harper snorted, keeping up the charade. “I think I would know considering it was my footwear that was being eaten.”

“So what did you and the Slytherins do about that your shoe issue?” Hermione asked trying to keep a straight face.

“Nothing. Can you imagine going up to Professor Snape to complain that our footwear was being sabotaged by a Gryffindor cat?!”

At this, Hermione could no longer keep a straight face. She burst out laughing, almost chocking on the chopped nuts on her ice cream causing Harper to double in laughter.

Thus, having broken the ice, they spent the next few hours conversing about everything under the sun as they roamed the shops and streets of Diagon Alley.

Upon reaching Magical Menagerie, they parted ways, deciding to meet up again at the Leaky Cauldron after they finished their respective errands.

So it was with a smile on her face, and a light spring to her steps, that Hermione finished her errands, bought a few more books and quills, and made her way towards the Leaky Cauldron.

True to his words, Harper was waiting for her by the entrance.

“You certainly did not take as longs as I thought you would,” Hermione said with a smile.

“I could say the same about you,” Harper replied opening the door for Hermione.

“We--,” Hermione began walking through the door.

Unfortunately, as she was doing this, her head was turned to the side so she walked right into the person on the other side of the door.

“I’m so sorry. I—Malfoy,” Hermione blurted in the middle of the apology, startled at seeing the last person she expected to run into.

“Fancy meeting you here, Granger,” Draco drawled with a smirk.

“Yeah, fancy that,” Hermione replied.

“Hermione! Just the person I wanted to see!” Blaise called out from behind Draco.

“Hello Blaise,” Hermione called out with a warm smile.

“I am so glad I ran into you! I’m in a bit of a hurry, so I’ll cut the chase and get right to the point. So, my mother planned a birthday bash for me but forgot to tell me about it,” Blaise began.

“That’s because it was meant to be a surprise,” Draco added rolling his eyes.

“Anyhow,” Blaise continued. “My mother basically just invited everyone she did the last time she threw me a surprise birthday party. But that was thirteen years ago. So as you can imagine—,”

As Blaise continued, Draco found his gaze to continuously be drawn to a certain pair of rather exquisite eyes that belonged to a certain Gryffindor. Determined not to fix his eyes on Hermione, he decided to look past her. And that is when he noticed the figure behind her.

Although Blaise was completely oblivious to it, still going on about his guest list, Hermione didn’t miss what was occurring. She noticed the countenance of both as they looked at each other and was astonished by the effect of the encounter. Both men changed color; one looked white, the other red.

“I did owl the invites a few hours ago,” Blaise continued, still happily oblivious. “But I don’t know when they will actually get delivered. So would you mind telling Cho about it?”

“Yeah, sure,” Hermione replied, still wondering what just went on between Draco and Harper.

“Thank you so much!” Blaise exclaimed. “And your invite has been sent as well. You’re welcome to bring as many guests as you wish to bring. Well, Draco and I must go, we’re in a bit of a hurry. See you tomorrow!”

Thus, they exited the pub, leaving Hermione wondering what could possibly have been the meaning of the odd encounter between the two men—for it was impossible to imagine, and even more impossible not to long to know.

***************************************************************

So what did you think about that? What do you think will happen?? Any guesses?

All Pride & Prejudice fans out there, did you notice the similarities?  =)

I promise I'll post again next saturday. Pinky Promise (you know that's some legit stuff right there).

So until next saturday, vote, comment & Potter on =)