Rushing footsteps came down the hall outside of her apartment. She went up to the peephole to see what the commotion was to see her mother come charging towards the door. She unlocked it and her mother came crashing in, slamming the door shut behind her.

“What are - ?”

Her mother shushed her, going through every single lock. She pressed her back against the door, squeezing her eyes shut and taking in big gulps of air. After a moment, she gazed into the peephole very carefully.

Beth lowered her voice. "What is going on?"

"Grab a knife from the kitchen, will you? A sharp one. Just in case . . ."

She obeyed due to the sternness of her mother's tone. It had to be the first time she used such authority with her in years. It was probably why her hands shook when she picked up the steak knife.

"Was someone chasing you?" She didn't wait for her mother to answer as her eyes widened to the size of the star on the Rockefeller Christmas tree. "Did you lead them back here?! To our home?!"

"Shh!" her mother hissed. She took the knife from her hands, eyes glued to the hole in the door. "I couldn't exactly go to the cops about it. A dealer I owe money was chasing me."

Her heart fell into her stomach. She wiped at her tearing eyes. "What were you doing out so early?"

She remained silent.

"Buying more drugs? On Christmas?"

"I've been clean for a whole week -"

"You couldn't let us have this one day? You couldn't wait one more day?" Her mother brought a finger to her lips.

"I'm sorry. I really tried." She turned to the peephole one more time. Deciding the coast was clear, she placed the knife back on the table. "Merry Christmas."

Bethany shook off the memory and decided against wearing the ripped jeans. When she headed downstairs she completely forgot about it. The air was different, very holiday like. It gave her the feeling you get when you know you're about to have a great day and you don't know if you want it to come sooner or hold it off so it'll last longer.

Carina was humming Christmas jingles to herself while setting up the table.

“Merry Christmas, darling!”

“Merry Christmas! Where's Teigan?” she asked, grabbing the forks.

Carina gave her a mischievous grin. “He’ll be here in a second.”

He came from outside a minute later while they were serving pancakes. He had a box in his hands that he placed on the side table next to the door. “Can I help with anything?”

“Pour us some hot chocolate, will you?”
Soon they were all seated at the table, discussing the various Christmas movies they had seen. Bethany zoned out of the conversation, just watching the two’s faces. The manner in which the skin around Carina’s mouth wrinkled when she smiled, the way Teigan’s laugh made his Adam’s apple bounce. They were happy and the holidays weren’t the sole reason.

She snapped out of her haze as Teigan took the can of whipped cream and sprayed it directly into his mouth.
It was more common to catch him smiling or laughing. In fact, she knew exactly how it sounded now. He was constantly checking up on her and asking if she needed anything. He’d even help Carina out with chores no matter how many times she insisted it was her job.

They finished up breakfast when Teigan pulled her to the side. “I have something to show you.” He grabbed the box he brought in earlier to her with a pep in his step. “It came a few days late so I didn’t have time to wrap it but . . . here you go.”