10. Evidence Bags

Start from the beginning

"I'm thinking my mom found out who my dad was—is," you correct yourself quickly. "And...I think he either killed her and covered it up as a suicide, or he forced her to kill herself." Your voice is quiet, and you try to push back the rush of emotion you're feeling to try to stay objective.

"We need to get to the jet. Spencer, call the team, tell them to meet us there. We need to get to Quantico."

Hotch leads the way out of the house, Spencer pulling out his phone and dialing Morgan. You walk down the stairs, taking one moment to look back at the house you'd grown up in. If you close your eyes, it's almost like you're twelve again, coming home to the smell of cookies and the giant bear hug your dad would give you when you returned from school. But when you open your eyes, you're greeted with the bare, desolate frame of what used to be, haunted by skewed memories that don't even feel real.

You turn around, letting Spencer lead you out the broken front door, not even bothering to shut it behind you. You climb into the backseat, settling in the middle next to Spencer. You buckle your seatbelt, and Spencer puts his phone back in his pocket, grabbing your right hand with his left. You look up at him, and he plants a soft kiss on your forehead.

"This is just a reminder that I love you," he says, looking into your eyes.

You give a breathy chuckle. "I love you, too."

You look at Hotch's reflected in the rearview mirror, finding him smiling a rare smile at the two of you, his eyes meeting yours before glancing back at the road. The ride to the jet is short, and the three of you pile out of the SUV, heading into the jet. The team looks up at you as you enter, sitting in a seat in the middle of the jet next to Rossi. Spencer sits next to you, Hotch—evidence bags in hand—sits at the table next to JJ, Prentiss, and Morgan.

"What did you guys find?" Morgan asks, brows scrunched together.

"All of this." Hotch puts the evidence bags on the table, and Morgan looks down at them.

"We found a note from my mom," you say quietly, everyone's eyes settling on your face. "She, um, she tried to warn me about my dad. I obviously never got it."

Prentiss tilts her head, looking down at the bag of IDs. "Do you think your dad had something to do with that?"

"No, I know he had something to do with it," you say, anger underlying your voice.

"There are either two options," Spencer says, leaning forward in his seat. "Joseph either killed Y/n's mom and made it look like a suicide, or he forced her into killing herself." He places his hand on top of yours, a comforting gesture.

"There could be a third option," JJ says. "She could still be alive."

You shake your head. "No, there's no way. I saw her body, JJ."

"So did everyone at the diner when your dad supposedly died," she says back, her voice soft. "I'm just saying, it could be a possibility. We shouldn't rule it out."

You visibly tense, and Spencer notices, moving to lace his fingers with yours. You don't want to argue with the team right now, choosing instead to close your eyes, inhaling slowly, focusing on the way Spencer's thumb brushes against your hand. After a moment, you open your eyes, tuning yourself back into the conversation.

"Spencer, have you decoded any of the letters from Hunter's place?" Rossi asks.

Spencer shakes his head. "Not yet. I'm really close, though. I'll look at them again when we get back to Quantico."

"Good, there could be some important information in those about who's working with Joseph," Hotch says.

Spencer nods, leaning back in his seat. You bite the skin on your lip, zoning out on the evidence bags on the table. As the jet ascends, you pop your ears, tapping your right fingers on the armrest of the chair.