Standing There Looking Pretty

Start from the beginning

He didn't move. I could see in his eyes he was thinking. "Come with us, both of you."

Both his siblings looked at one another before following. Now I was starting to settle into what was happening. I realized now that this wasn't just Dream's coming out, it was mine as well. Albeit, they were my future in-laws so they weren't the worst people to be my first, but that didn't make it any less nerve-wracking. I couldn't be feeling any worse than Dream, though. He had grabbed the crook of my arm and led me into the kitchen and his grip only tightened as his parents came into view. They were whispering to one another. I didn't want to know what they were saying.

At the sight of us, they stopped mid-sentence.

"What do you want to talk about?" His mother asked, worry dripping from her voice.

"It's... nothing serious," Dream mumbled. My heart rattled my bones as it pounded against my ribcage. The beating grew awfully loud. I could barely hear what Dream was saying.

"Oh," His mother said with relief. The tension in her shoulders released and his dad wrapped his arm around her shoulder. "So what is it?"

I avoided looking over at Dream. I already knew every other person in the room was looking at him, I didn't need to be added weight. His grip tightened even more, and I was about to lose circulation.

For the first time, Dream was tongue tied. The longer the silence went on, the more tense his parents became once again. I was tempted to break the silence, but I wasn't sure if that would be the right thing to do. It was his parents, it was technically his coming out. I was more of an accessory.

"Well..." He finally stated, letting go of me and running a hand through his thick hair. "It's actually something I've been meaning to tell you for a long time now—"

"I'm marrying your son," I blurted out, hiding behind him. Everyone's eyes in the room widened, even Dream's. His ears burnt a crisp red that poked out of his wild hair.

Absolute silence filled the room. Nobody dared to break it either.

Well, except his sister. It started as a stifled laugh that she tried muffling into her hands, but it later became a full laughing fit.

"I told you!" She shouted, turning to her mom. "I called it! What did I tell you? I knew it!"

Her mother signaled for her to calm down. "You two go into the living room," She instructed, pointing Dream's brother and sister out of the room. They left the room, Dream's sister giving him a punch in the arm on the way out.

Looking at his mom was like looking at my own— intimidating. Except she didn't have a hard glare like we did something wrong. She had an intense stare that was somehow soft at the same time. It was similar to how Dream looked at me, and yet totally different.

"Why?" She asked.

Dream was trembling at the spot, and he covered his face with his hands.

"I dunno," He mumbled, exhaling sharply. "It just—It happened."

His mom frowned as she looked up at her son.

"Well..." She trailed off, and his dad pulled her close.

"Why didn't you tell us sooner, she means," He said.

"I-I don't know." Dream's voice cracked. I rested my head against his back, and his shaking only got worse. "I'm sorry," I heard him mumble as he shook his head.

His mother walked around the counter and faced us, looking up at Dream. "Dream, we don't care if you're gay. You know we support you no matter what."