Unfinished. Part 2

Eight Years Ago

 “Tell me a story,” Lexa said, chasing Quinn down the hall to the training room. “You promised.”

She had a streak of dust on her face and cobwebs in her dark brown hair. Her skinny knees were dirt-encrusted, too, but her large brown eyes sparkled. She was up to something for sure.

“Where have you been?” he asked.

“Finding a way into the attic. Now, what about my story?”

He laughed. “We’re late. After we meet Doc, I will.”

“Tell me the one about the puppet,” she insisted. “Who became a real boy.”

His sigh was inward. She still thought it was a harmless story. She had no idea that Miss Maren had banned it. Hit too close to home, that story did. He never should’ve told Lexa about it. She didn’t understand the consequences.

“How about a different story, about a princess who loses a shoe?”

She made a face. “I know you’re changing the subject. Besides, you know I don’t like stories where the girl has to be rescued. I want a more…badass girl.”

“Badass? Where did you pick up that word?” he asked, amused.

“Loading dock. The guys delivering the groceries never even saw me hiding in the rafters yesterday.”

Her smile was full of mischief, and Quinn laughed. “You are such a little sneak.”

“Hey! That’s what Doc said I was made for. I have to practice.”

They hurried into the training room, where Doc was waiting. “Lexa, up the ropes, please.”

She scampered past Quinn, her ponytail swinging behind her. In seconds, she was halfway up the rope ladder on her way to the network of swings, catwalks, and nets strung from the ceiling.

“Boggles the mind, huh?” Doc asked. “She’s like a monkey up there.”

Quinn pushed down a tiny twinge of jealousy. He loved Lexa—she was his best friend—but her physical abilities outshined his and that bothered him. “Yeah. Monkey.”

Doc peered at him. “What’s eating you?”

“Nothing.” He shook his head to clear his thoughts. “What should I do?”

“Hide,” Doc said, smiling.

“What?”

Hide. You’re so worried about what Lexa can do that you’ve forgotten what you can do. You’re my chameleon, kid. Blend in; make yourself invisible. Find a way to make yourself agreeable with the kitchen staff so that they give you extra sweets.”

“Right now?”

“Consider it a long-term assignment. Find ways to make friends here. The hellcat,” he cast a glance up at Lexa, nimbly leaping from platform to platform twenty feet overhead, “has her strengths, but her sweet disposition isn’t one of them.”

Wasn’t that the truth? But he liked how she could go from mad to happy to curious to snappish in ten seconds. His cheeks warmed. He liked everything about her.

“Look! Look!” Lexa called.

Quinn’s heart shot into his throat as she jumped from the platform to catch a rope ten feet away. She swung around once, crying “Wheee!” before climbing back to the ceiling.

“Come down from there, sweetheart,” Doc yelled. “Time for drills.”

She stuck her tongue out at him, but climbed down. Granted, she took the longest way, and Quinn had to hide a grin. Definitely not agreeable.