6 Fight Fire with Fire: Part 1

January 22nd, - January 24th, 2014

I walked out of the hangout room, and Nate was putting his coat on.

"Where you off to?" I asked.

Nate turned towards me. "I'm going into town to get an anti-possession tattoo and maybe a few other things. Wanna come?"

I chuckled. "Yeah. It's probably time I got one of those as well. Give me just a second."

I ran into our bedroom quickly and changed out of my lounging clothes. I came out, and Nate was gone.

"Looking for Nate?" Garth was sitting down and eating a sandwich.

"Uh, huh," I said.

"I think he left. Said something about going into town." Garth took a bite of his sandwich.

"Ugh. Seriously? I told him I'd only be a minute. He better not have left." I walked across the dining room and opened the door.

Nate was walking up the path towards me. He looked up.

"Jeez. Took ya long enough." He smiled.

"Maybe you're just impatient." I smirked.

Nate looked at his wrist and gestured towards it like he had a watch. "Gotta be to the shop in like twenty minutes."

"That's my fault you waited this long to leave?" I asked.

Nate laughed. "You were the one who challenged us to that last Mortal Kombat tournament that took literally two hours to finish."

I shrugged. "Neither of you hesitated to play. So... not my fault."

He just gave me a blank stare. "No time to argue about it. We gotta go." He turned and started walking towards the car.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Nate parked a block or so away from the tattoo parlor. We walked in, and everything seemed pretty normal.

A man was standing at the counter. "May I help you?"

Nate cleared his throat. "I'm here to see Inkzilla. I have an appointment."

The man looked down at the book in front of him. "Nate Harvelle?"

"Yup." Nate nodded.

"Stay here. I'll go get him." The man turned and walked into the back room of the parlor.

I laughed. "You booked an appointment with a guy named Inkzilla? Really?"

"He's supposed to be really good. I've been waiting six months for this appointment. I heard he does very exclusive work," Nate said.

"Why would you wait six months for an anti-possession tattoo? Give me ink and a needle, and I'll have it done in five minutes," I said.

"Sorry to interrupt, couldn't help but overhear," a man with slicked-back hair said from behind the counter." "I'll have you know that tattooing is a delicate art. Not just anyone off the street can pick up a gun and 'have it done.'"

"Oh." I chuckled awkwardly. "I wasn't saying anyone could do it. I'm just saying for what he needs done, he didn't have to wait six months."

The man nodded. "Oh, right, right. I'm not seeing the contradistinction. My clients wait months to see me, and if you think you can even come close to my artistry just by walking in off the streets, then quite frankly, you can just get out."

"Okay, I wasn't trying to offend anyone. He just needs a simple tattoo for a practical reason. I'm not saying I can just stroll in here and throw a masterpiece on him. I'm talking simple lines and circles. That's it," I said, trying to defend myself while feeling like I was just digging a deeper hole.