Chapter 1: George

The sunlight seeped through my window as my eyes opened. 

"One more day!" I thought excitedly, but I was slightly nervous at the idea of being eighteen. I knew that being eighteen meant that I would be the new Earl of Grantham. That thought excited and troubled me at the same time. I shook my head and focused on the fact that I still had one more day of freedom. Stretching my arms, I stood up out of my bed and rang the bell near me.

"I'm already here, Master George," Johnny said. "I know the time you wake up and the time you go up to bed."

"That sounds vaguely threatening," I joked. Johnny went to my closet and grabbed out the clothes we decided on the previous night. 

"Of course I didn't mean it like that. I only meant that I hope you and I are friends close . I mean close friends," he said, quickly. Johnny talked fast and often jumbled words, but he was a good worker and an even better friend.

"Johnny Bates," I said. "Take a deep breath and slow down. You'd jumble words much less if you slowed down."

"Well, you see the problem, Master George, is that I can't slow down. There's just so much to be doing and slowing down means not being able to do everything," Johnny replied. "Will that be all?" He asked after helping me dress.

"Yes, oh and please just call me George," I said as he left. Johnny smiled and closed the door behind him. I followed not far after he left and went over to the gallery. 

"Behind you, George!" Someone called from near behind. I turned to see my half sister, Caroline sprinting down the hall.

"Slow down," I called after her, laughing. She waved me off and leapt onto the banister. Caroline slid down the banister and jumped off when she reached the bottom. I ran down the stairs after her. "You're going to injure yourself one day if you keep doing that."

"I'm living life," she said in reply. "You should learn how. I want to do more than curtsy and have tea and shop. I want to have excitement and adventure, so I find it anyway I can."

"You're still going to hurt yourself," I told her. Caroline laughed this off and we continued into the dining room. Sybbie, her step sister, Nora, and her half sister, Grace were already in the dining room.

"I'm glad to see you two are finally up," Sybbie said. I rolled my eyes and sat down.

"Sybbie, you are the second oldest in this household. It is not your job to boss us around and act as though you are responsible for us," I told her.

"Very true, George," Nora said. "I'm the oldest, so it's my job." Nora made the whole table of us laugh, as she often did. 

"Anything planned for today, George?" Grace asked me. I shook my head and thought over any plans I had made.

"Actually," Sybbie said. "Grandpa Robert and Granny Cora are coming for luncheon today and Aunt Edith and Uncle Bertie are coming with Jack, Cate, and Marigold."

"What time is Donk coming?" Caroline asked, shoveling her breakfast into her mouth. Caroline, at fourteen, was the youngest of us all. And while most of us abandoned the childish nickname for Grandpa Robert by the age of eleven, Caroline stuck with it.

"Around eleven," Nora replied. "And Uncle Robert said that he had some instructions for George." Nora on the other hand, like her sister Grace, had never called Grandpa Robert "Donk" or "Grandpa". They were the daughters of Uncle Tom and his second wife, Auntie Del. Since they had no blood relations to my grandfather, they felt it was uncomfortable to call him Grandpa.

"What could this mysterious instructions be?" Grace giggled and nudged my shoulder with her hand.

"Probably about the big day tomorrow," Sybbie said. "Think about it, George Crawley, Earl of Grantham."

"That sounds very posh," Nora said with her distinct Irish accent. I looked at her, annoyed with her teasing.

"I still don't get why you have that accent," I told her, changing the subject. "You've lived at Downton since you were six years old and you still sound like you just moved here."

"I've always heard Mum and Tom with their accents and I kept mine as well," she explained. "I want to stay true to my heritage."

"I wish I knew more about Ireland," Sybbie said in response. "I'm half Irish and I've never even been there." I could here the distinct note of longing in her voice. I couldn't imagine it, being from a country you've never even been to.

"I feel the same," Grace told Sybbie. "I'm Irish and I've never been there either." Everyone stopped talking for a moment as we thought about the things we'd all lost. We'd all lost something important to us; mothers, father, and homes. Sybbie had grown up without her mother, Nora and I grew up without our fathers, and Grace had never been to the country she was from. 

"Well," Caroline said. "The group of you need to stop being such sad sacks and think about the good things we have." Grace nodded and finished up her breakfast quickly.

"I quite agree, Miss Caroline," Grace said, getting up form the table. "Shall we go do something a little more fun?" Caroline followed and linked arms with Grace.

"We shall, Miss Grace." The two young teenagers left together, joking and giggling amongst themselves. They left Sybbie, Nora, and I at the table together to finish our breakfast.

"What are you going to do about tomorrow, George?" Sybbie asked. "I mean Dad and Aunt Mary always ran the estate, but now its your turn."

"I honestly don't know," I told them truthfully. "I've always known that this would be my job one day, but it came faster than I thought."

"Well," Sybbie said standing up, Nora close behind. "You have nothing to worry about. You have two older sisters who love you dearly." Sybbie kissed my cheek and Nora followed her step sister after doing the same. It was just me then, sitting alone in the dining room. I put both hands on my cheeks and sighed. Everyone told me I was going to fine, but I didn't believe them, not one bit.

"Are you alright, Master George?" Someone asked after coming into the room. I turned and found the butler, Mr. Barrow standing by the doorway.

"Oh I'm just fine, Mr. Barrow," I said, sarcastically. "I'm only just about to be in charge of a large estate at age eighteen." 

"Well, I trust that you'll know what to do," he responded. "You're a smart young man, Master George. You'll know what's best for the estate, I know it." The kind words from Mr. Barrow made me smile. They helped me feel a little better about the responsibility about to be thrust upon me.

"Why are you so, so kind to me, Mr.Barrow?" I asked. "I mean you are nice to all of us, but especially to me. Why is that?"

"Well," he said. "Every butler has his favorites."