A Proper Introduction

Ruby was driving Taiyang's car away from the house, with me in the passenger seat.

"Pretty convenient your dad just left this car behind," I said. "How do you know how to drive this?"

Ruby smiled at me. "My dad started giving me driving lessons." Her smile quickly faded. "Okay, so... what exactly are you?"

"I'm a hedgehog," I answered. "I feel like that's obvious. And I'm in big trouble."

"Well, you're not the one who just punched some government spy dude back there," Ruby said.

"You think you have problems?!" I said. "I lost my rings!"

"'Rings'?" Ruby said, confused.

"Yes!" I said. "Rings are how all advanced cultures travel between worlds, and now mine are in Beacon Academy!"

Ruby was going to say something, but she couldn't think of what to say.

"So, I'd like you to take me to the Academy, so I can get back my rings and use them to get to the mushroom planet."

"'Mushroom planet'?" Ruby repeated.

"YES!" I said, getting annoyed.

Ruby sighed. Now she was getting annoyed. She pulled over, and opened the passenger door.

"Okay, pal," she said. "Out you go."

"I'm sorry, what?"

"Look, this is the worst possible time for me to get myself into trouble, okay? You asked me to save your life, I saved your life. Now, please... Go find your rings... and your mushroom land. Hopefully, I'm gonna wake up in a hospital bed. Okay? So, goodbye."

"Okay," I said, climbing out of the car. "Goodbye."

"Goodbye."

I stepped out of the car, but I didn't leave.

She tilted her head. "Are... you... okay?"

"I... um... I don't know how to get to Beacon from here," I said. "I just kinda followed you here."

"It's east," Ruby said.

"'East'?" I repeated.

"Straight ahead, you can't miss it."

"Fine. That's cool. I'm totally cool saying goodbye now."

I dashed away.

Ruby was impressed at my speed. I was faster than her. Despite the fact she'd pushed me away, she felt kinda bad. She'd never really pushed anyone away like that, and she didn't mean to be rude. She was just in the worst mood.

Suddenly, I dashed straight back up to her, soaking wet, and covered in seaweed, with a fish on my head.

She let out an adorable squeal of shock, which would normally make me smile. But right now, I was incredibly angry.

"So, as I crashed into the cold, dark water of the Pacific, I realized a few things," I said. "A: I have no idea where I'm going. B: Saltwater stings. C: I shouldn't even be on this planet right now, but I am. Why? Because you shot me."

Ruby lowered her head a bit, feeling guilty.

"YOU SHOT ME!!!" I yelled.

She didn't reply. She looked at me, a look of regret on her face.

I didn't pay any attention to it.

"I'm wet. I'm cold. There's a fish on my head!! And clearly I'm not gonna be able to do this on my own."

Ruby sighed, and looked at me.

I didn't look at her. I thought she'd just push me away again, so I just lowered my head in defeat. "Nevermind," I said. "Have fun with... Golden Lady and the others."

I started to walk away.

"Wait!" Ruby said.

I turned my head back to look at her.

"I... I guess I can help."

I turned back around to her completely.

"Really?! You're gonna help me?!"

I shook my body, sending the seaweed and fish flying off of me, and turning my hair and quills fluffy.

Ruby giggled at me, thinking I looked adorable. "Yeah," she continued. "I guess it's a little bit my fault this is happening to you."

"Not 'a little bit'," I corrected. "Entirely! It is entirely your fault!"

"Yeah, yeah, I know," she said. "Get in the truck."

"Okay," I said, shaking my hair and quills back to their original position.

I climbed into the car and sat in the passenger seat next to her.

"Road trip! Woohoo!" I yelled.

Ruby giggled, and started driving.

"Okay, so I don't normally make rules, but I'm gonna make an exception here," she said. "Number one: do exactly as I say, all the time. Got it?"

"Got it, Cookie Queen," I said, saluting her.

"My name isn't Cookie Queen," Ruby said. "I'm Ruby Rose."

"I'm Sonic," I said. A part of me wanted to tell her my real name, but I just liked Sonic better.

"Sonic," Ruby said, nodding. "Sonic... So, you've been spying on us all for years?"

"I mean, I wouldn't call it spying. We're all just hanging out, only I wasn't invited and no one knew I was there."

"I can't believe Crazy Carl was right all this time."

"Yeah, you should call him Super Observant Carl instead." I looked outside, and gasped at what I saw. "Oh, my Oum! Stop the car, right now!"

Ruby started to panic. "What? What?! What?!"

"'The World's Largest Rubberband Ball'?!" I read a sign outside. "We gotta see it!"

"It does sound cool," Ruby mumbled. "But we have no time for that! The government wants to kidnap you, and arrest me!"

I didn't listen. I immediately sped out of the vehicle, and came back in a heartbeat. I was holding several rubberband balls in my lap and was wearing a cap.

"Eh, you're right. It was lame. Gift shop was cool, though."

I held up a mouse pad I "bought". It said: "I ♥ Rubber Bands".

"I got you a mouse pad!" I said. "When are we gonna get there?"

I started to play with a paddle ball.

"It's going to take a while," Ruby said.

She looked at me, and I was continuing to use the paddle ball, with a huge smile on my face.

She started to smile at how adorable she thought I was, and turned to the road to hide her smile.