Part 2

The cracks of thunder rattled the mansion with its monstrous noise, causing her chest to tighten with each boom, as if it stepped in time with the stomps of her stepfather growing ever closer. Any second he would appear, ripping her away from this place. Alara all but jumped into Arthur's lap when the door was thrown open. Her small hands trembling as they clutched onto the sleeve of his jacket.

"There was no need to come through my window like that!" The irritation in his voice pointed to the other resident beside him that wore clothes she was not familiar with.

"Newt, old boy, you've given the girl a fright," Arthur chastised with a grin to lighten the heavy cloud hanging over the child. As her grip lessened, he hooked a finger under her chin to get her full attention. "Those two live here as well. There's not a need for those teary eyes, yeah?"

"I've told you to stop calling me that. My name is Isaac." Taking the chair beside Arthur, Isaac glanced at the child out of his peripheral vision. Sebastian hadn't given a real reason as to why he wanted an old shirt, but it was clearly the one she wore.

The other man approached her chair directly. "Ahh, a wonderful little soul has found her way into our humble home. It's a pleasure to meet you, Saki-chan." He took one of her hands and brought it to his lips for a gentle kiss, bringing a smile to her face once again.

"That's not my name, mister." Alara answered, giggling at his antics, nonetheless. Everyone that she had met were so kind to her, having so much attention had her worries scattered away. If only momentarily, she was happy.

Sebastian interrupted the commotion, wheeling out a cart of delicious foods of all varieties. "Please, have a seat, dinner is already late." The hint of disapproval in his voice didn't deter the young girl from returning to her pancakes.

The chatter around the table remained light, talks of their days and giving information about themselves led the child into the conversation. Allowing her to decide what she might tell them about herself. None wanted to bring that terrified expression back to her, even without knowing the extent of the circumstances.

Alara perfectly fit in with the lot, finding their professions and personalities intriguing, a mismatched bunch. Never in her short life had so many different people been in one room. The comfortable feeling settling inside her brought an ache along with it, but she didn't know why. Like she'd been stuck in a China glass house, snatched right out of a doll shop.

Her swiping of the syrup off her cleared plate was interrupted with door opening once again. There were more men living here, and the lively atmosphere hadn't broken around her, so a moment passed before the electricity in the air began to spark around her.

One word.

Her own name... in that voice...

It shattered the glass house around her, bringing the raging storm crashing down around the ruins. Her shoulders rose, head ducking down as if avoiding the ceiling that would crash atop her at any second.

The slush of each step like the strike of a whip against her skin. She shrunk down into the chair with every squish of his soaked shoes, lower into the seat as if wishing it would swallow her up and take her far away from him. Her fingers entangled in her raven locks, twisting hard to prove that this was real. Green eyes wide open, afraid of what happen should she shut them, but never rising from the view of her own lap.

"I'm terribly sorry for the trouble she's caused you."

Apologizing. Always apologizing on her behalf. Why? Why did every choice she make result in her mother apologizing about her? She followed the rules, yet it never stopped his constant shouting at her, never dissuaded that whip he wielded with the sharp tip. Begging, pleading, her mother on her knees, hands clasped.