Chapter 18: Hello, Goodbye

Start from the beginning

"Alright! Can't wait for our girls day out!"

"See you soon!" I type. I fall back onto the bed and cover my eyes. Now for the hard part. Explaining, everything, to everyone.

The next morning I wake up at what I hope will be the right time at 7:30. I stare at the ceiling for a few seconds, thinking about what I am about to do. It's Monday which means Dream's parents still have to go to work. Katie, Clara, and Noah have to leave before eight. I glance at my suitcase which I already packed last night, with shaking hands I might add. It now stands in the corner of the room ready to be taken away.

When I make it downstairs, both of Dream's parents are already there. "Good morning Y/N!" she says, glancing at me over her shoulder as she makes fried eggs. How am I going to tell them? I give them a smile while I secretly hope a black hole could suck up the Earth so I wouldn't have to explain anything.

As I planned, my timing is perfect. Everyone else is also downstairs in the next five minutes. Seven forty. I pray that Gracie will be early. "Breakfast is all ready!" Mrs. Bryce says and everyone rushes towards the table.

"I cannot be late today," Katie says as she plops down in her seat. I stand there awkwardly for a moment.

I gulp and build up my courage. I unconsciously clasp my hands together. I can do this. Ah I can't do this!?! "My friend is coming to pick me up this morning," I blurt out. A few heads turn toward me. I raise my voice and try to stand a little taller. "I truly appreciate how kind you have all been to me, but I realized how much work it must be for you to have me around. I know I stumbled into your home without a word ahead. My friend is in town this week and we made plans to meet up."

"Oh Y/N, we really don't mind-" Mrs. Bryce says.

"Wait! You're leaving?!" Dream exclaims.

"Well yeah, I'm staying with Gracie and then I'll figure it out from there," I say, realizing my severe lack of a plan.

"You're leaving?!" Dream says again. I just stand there, shifting my weight from one foot to the other, as their whole family stares at me.

"Moooom," Clara says in a bored tone. "We're going to be late." Dream's mom blinks her eyes and seems to snap out of a trance. For once I am grateful that Clara, the annoying little sister is there.

"Oh right! Come on, it's almost eight," she says.

"I have to go to," Katie says, standing up. To my surprise she walks over and gives me a hug. "It was so wonderful to have you here Y/N. We should definitely stay in touch, especially since you'll still be around," she says.

Noah also comes over and gives me a fist bump. I even think I see Clara glance at me. In just a couple of minutes they are all out the door. I watch as it closes behind them and listen as their cars pull away and the garage doors close. I turn back to find Dream still in the house.

"I know you overheard our conversation," Dream says.

"What?"

"Yesterday, when I saw you on the staircase," he says. "Is that why you're leaving?"

"Well no, Gracie and I just want to hang out together. It's-it's been a long time since we've seen each other."

He takes a step towards me. "Y/N, you don't have to go. Please, I," he looks away. "I know I've been acting so stupid lately. I'm really sorry. Please don't go yet."

I don't know what to say. I thought they wanted me to leave. "It's alright, I'm not leaving Orlando. But I already promised Gracie that I would go." I hear a car honk outside and jump. I rush upstairs to get my suitcase. I take one last look around my room. I'd only been there for a week and yet I felt there was a connection between us somehow. On an impulse I take the picture frame with all the pictures of me, and stuff it into my bag. As I grab the handle and prepare to half carry half drag the heavy object down the stairs, Dream appears at my side.

"Here," he says. I look up at him for a moment. He doesn't meet my eyes. Together we carry the suitcase down the stairs. I open the front door and see a car parked on the side of the road. I don't recognize it but I know it's Gracie's rental.

"Good luck on your duel," I say as I'm preparing to head out.

"Please stay Y/N," Dream says again. I just shake my head.

"Come back alright? We could go to Disney or something," he says, and I almost laugh at how awkward he is sometimes.

"Of course, I'm not leaving yet," I say.

"Goodbye Y/N," he says as I walk out the door.

I look back at him one last time. "Goodbye Dream," and no one ever says goodbye unless they want to see you again.

----- Story continued after that amazing line that I totally didn't steal from John Green :) -----

I get in the car with a sigh of relief. "Hey Y/N!" Gracie says. She starts the car and I watch as Dream disappears out of view. I'm glad that she doesn't insist of meeting Dream or anything. I feel a small twinge of regret, but I tell myself that it's not like I'm going anywhere. Gracie gives me a smile and then lifts one of those metal insulated coffee mugs. She takes a sip. "Ugh I need some coffee too," I say.

"It's tea," she says without looking at me. I eye her suspiciously and she turns and just gives me a smirk.

(@GalaxyTheLynx @Daniyesno @DJ_ROMYLOL I've noticed a few interesting debates about tea in the comment sections. Galaxy, maybe you aren't drinking tea, maybe you've been trying to fool us all along. Just something to think about... :)

Author's Note: Was that a sad chapter? It was long I can say that. Ok yeah I don't have much to say. Hope you liked it! Remember to vote! Also, 15K!!! Thank you everyone!

10/15/2020