Chapter 21: Wattpad

Friday, July 24th, 2020

I come around the corner and into the familiar breakfast room. Clay immediately jumps up from his seat and comes over and gives me a hug. I can't help smile shyly when he kisses me on the cheek and I see Clara smirking at me. It's the most amazing feeling I've ever felt. I think its love.

"Good morning Y/N!" Clay's mom says as I take a seat. They are all smiling at me and I know these are genuine. Ever since that magical day in the park, it feels as if each day is filled with promise. I beam back at all of them.

Clay and I have a plan now. Over the course of these few weeks, this whole crazy year, I've changed for the better, I believe. I'm boarding a flight back home tomorrow. As I look around at this happy family I can't help feeling a little sad that I will be leaving, yet from their faces, I know that I will always be a part of this family. Clay and I have promised each other repeatedly that we would stay in touch and together no matter what, and I'm not afraid. After all, distance is just a test of how far love travels.

I've learned that we just have to deal with things as they come. We'll figure it out. But all that's in the future. For now, I have one more day...

After breakfast and Clay's whole family have left, I have a sudden urge to check my Wattpad account. I'd finished my Dreamwastaken x Reader story about two months ago and still can't believe it had 200K reads!

I turned off notifications but still had the app. I wait for it to load and my eyes widen at the huge 300K underneath my story! I scroll through the thousands of notifications. I laugh at a hilarious comment.

"Hey what are you looking at," Clay asks, coming over to look over my shoulder. I show him and he laughs.

A brilliant idea suddenly pops into my head. "Hey! Wouldn't it be so cool if we write a Wattpad story?" I say.

"Yes! We could write a Dream x Reader story!" he says. Ours eyes meet and as one we take off running up the stairs and into his office. I sprint and beat him to his own gaming chair. I spin around in victory. He huffs and sits down on the wooden one fetched from the breakfast table.

I click the power button and we wait for the computer to open up. "Clay writing his own story?" I say, tapping my chin in contemplation. "Brilliant."

"Wait so that means if I read it then it will be a Dream x Clay story," he says.

"Brilliant!" I say again. I open the Wattpad website and am greeted by the familiar orange words and the main advertisement banner. It's been too long. I crack my knuckles, well at least attempt to, and can feel my inner author flowing. "My account?" I ask.

"Yeah, no one knows that I have a Wattpad account and I don't want them to," he says.

I nod and feel excitement coursing through me as I open my Wattpad profile. "Hey what's that?" Clay asks, pointing at one of the stories on my profile.

"Oh my god!" I feel myself turning red. "I forgot about that! Have you read it before?"

Clay wheezes. "Yeah when I first discovered your writer profile, I just wanted to see your reaction!"

"I need to unpublish it!" I say and because of the amount of time I spent away from Wattpad, I open it up by accident. A horrible drawing of My Little Pony greets me. I scream and frantically close the whole browser tab, returning to the desktop. Clay laughs so hard he almost falls out of his chair.

"That is t-the best drawing I've ever seen!" he wheezes, slapping the table as he clutches his stomach.

"No it was a dare! Gracie dared me to post it. I drew it in like 3rd grade!" I say. I open Wattpad again and click to unpublish the story.

"No! It was a good drawing," Clay says.

I sigh in relief when it's status changes to just a draft. I don't even care that I lost all the comments and votes. I bet they were all there to make fun of me.

"Get back on topic," I huff, annoyed. I skip through the initial story details, we're going to decide the title and all that later.

"So do we have a plot planned?" Clay asks.

"Nope." I place my fingers on the keyboard and take a deep dramatic breath. "Ok, let's do Monday, December 16th, 2019," I say as I type. I think for a moment. "I wake up to the sound of my alarm clock."

"That's so cliche!" Clay says.

I roll my eyes and type, "Yes, it sounds cliche but I bet 99% of the world wake up this way, the other 1% being babies of course, which honestly isn't fair."

Clay bursts out wheezing. "That's also kind of cliche."

"No it's not because it says that it knows it's cliche," I say.

"Huh?" Clay says, and I grin. "Ok let me write some."

"No!" I exclaim when he's done. "That's so embarrassing! If you're going to write that I'll have to change my alarm."

"But they wouldn't know it's you," he says.

"That's perfect," I say, a sudden thought forming in my head. It seems Clay also has the same idea. Ours eyes meet and a mischievous flash goes through his green ones. We type furiously. We take turns slamming our fingers against the keyboard. We practically finish each other's sentences! In no time we have more than one thousand words written.

"Genius!" I exclaim. We high five and laugh for a solid two minutes at our brilliance.

"T-this is so confusing," he says between his laughter. "In a good way of course. You wrote a Dream x Reader story and that's how we met and we are here writing a Dream x Reader story, with a Dream x Reader story inside it, about how we met," he says.

"Well you could say I was writing destiny," I say with a smirk and we both burst out laughing again.

10/29/2020