Chapter 16

I wake up Saturday morning with a wonderful pounding in my head (please note sarcasm). I rise from my bed at approximately 10 a.m. to get aspirin and water, chugging it and waiting for the throb to subside. Honestly, it doesn't bother me much, since I'm so used to it.

I take a shower, alone. Something feels off, like Sam should be on the other side, washing his hair like a doofus and using my soap. He should be kissing me under the spritz of water that rains down around me, washing the soap out of my hair. All in all, he should just be here.

After my shower comes to conclusion, I stalk out of my bathroom. Opening my laptop, I begin to edit some more articles. I finish all my work when the sky gets dark, clouds covering the moon, not even allowing a sliver of light into my open windows.

My phone begins to ring, my dad's profile picture popping up on my screen. I pick it up, answering with brief hesitation. "Hey, what's up?"

My dad bellows into the phone loudly. "Thanksgiving is coming up real soon, Sweetheart."

I frown. "I have a calendar, Dad."

He laughs hysterically, clearly tipsy. "I know! Your cousin is so excited to see you! She's here right now, actually."

I hear rustling and some static. "Hey, Ava!" My cousin Lauren screeches into the phone. She's clearly tipsy as well.

"Why is everyone drinking?" I question, as if I have a reason to judge.

Lauren squeals. "Because we're celebrating!"

I did that last night.

"I got engaged!" She laughs. "You should see my ring, Ava! It's huge! Seven carats! Can you believe it?"

I try to match her high pitch. "Wow! That is so great for you. I thought you and Heath just broke up six months ago."

She laughs ecstatically. "Yes, and I'm so glad! I met John five months ago. It was love at first sight!"

I nod, even though she can't see me. "Wow. Sounds like a futuristic remake of Frozen." I cringe as soon as those words leave me, because I know what comes next.

Lauren coos sympathetically. "Ava, I know you don't have a lot of romance in your life and it's hard for you to connect with anyone because of your alcohol issue, but can you please be happy for me? He's all I've ever wanted, I'm just asking you to stop being selfish and find your light."

I gawk. "My light?" For some unexplainable reason, that's what I pick out from that barrage of insults.

"Yes, Ava! Find your light, just don't try to dim mine." I hear my dad muttering angrily in the background.

"Lauren, I'm happy you're getting married, but please don't try to put me down for not being as enthusiastic as you ima-"

"Oh my gosh." I can hear her rolling her eyes. "She just can't be happy for me. Just because we got engaged so quickly. Honestly, she's just so demeaning." It seems she's talking to my dad about me.

I shake my head frantically. "No, Lauren. I said I was happy for you! So happy! It's just that you started talking about me when I didn't ask-"

My dad grabs the phone, venomous words following. "You will be kind to your cousin, Ava. She has been nothing but sweet to you, and you're trying to bring her down with your constant bad attitude. Just because you-"

"Dad." I shut my eyes. "I'm happy for her. One hundred percent. All I was saying was that I didn't ask for her to delve into my personal life. That's all." I open my eyes, wondering why he hasn't interrupted me yet.