Chapter 13

I debate whether or not I should enter my office, considering Sam will bring me lunch today. Maybe I can just leave early.

I try to imagine the look on Sam's face if he comes to my office with another damn footlong sandwich and sees I'm not there. His face would fall, he would hold his shoulders up and turn around.

I don't have the heart to allow that to happen.

I sigh, pulling the door handle and cursing under my breath when I hear the elevator doors open down the hall. I lay my head against my polished glass door, pleading with any entity above to make Miriam turn around.

"Please? Please, please, please? I will do anyth-"

"Ava! Have you started on a new topic yet? It's officially November, we only have two more weeks!" Miriam's heels clack against the floor. Luckily, she seems to be in a chipper mood today.

I peel my face off the door, glaring into the heavens for their cruel karma. "Yes, it's about techniques on c-"

Miriam makes a gesture for me to zip my lips. "I found the perfect one for you to write."

I hum. "Miriam, this one is going great. It's perfect for a whole spread, and I honestly think you'll love it. It's settled."

She shakes her head in fierce indignation. "No," she chirps, pushing past me into my office.

This building is several stories tall. Why can't she bother someone else every single day?

"Miriam, I appreciate how involved you think you need to be, but it's my feature, and-"

She cuts me off again. "And it won't get published if I don't approve it. Now, I would like you to use this topic." She pulls a piece of paper from her neon green pencil skirt, straightening it in front of her. "My Thanksgiving love story! So awesome, don't you think?"

I mask my scowl with a sweet smile. "My? Like, a narrative article? Miriam, you know we only-"

"I know!" She squeals, cutting me off once more. "But, I did the numbers, and you have over one million fans in eastern Massachusetts alone! They like you and your writing style, and they'd eat it up if you put something personal on there!"

I sigh, sitting on my chair. "Miriam, we're publishing this-"

"Yes, of course, bu-"

I glower at her. "Please ignore the frequent urge of interrupting me that you seem to have. Thank you." She tucks her chin into her neck, leaning back in silent recession. "As I was saying before, we publish this before Thanksgiving, therefore I will have no time to make myself a love story, nor do I have the ability to write from previous experience. Thank you, Miriam, but I will be sticking with the topic I'm writing now."

She grunts, laying her head back. "What is your topic then?"

I smile proudly. "Thanksgiving cooking techniques to impress."

Miriam snorts, tossing her ponytail back. "I think we can both agree that your fans will like my topic much better."

I smile sweetly. "Then why don't you write about your topic? I'm sure my fans will eat it up."

Miriam gawks at me, and I feel slightly taken aback at myself. I have never spoken to her that way.

"I can't write about a holiday love." She looks at her green skirt, sliding her palms against her pink, ruffled polyester dress shirt. "I thought you could write about it, since you're young and adventurous."